No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Glass faceted vase 1975 - my new vase is different from the others I have.  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Nannycamera

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Family and Maltese Glass
    • UK
Hi again, I wanted to share some photos of my new Mdina Glass faceted vase dated 1975 that I have recently acquired to add to my collection. I was surprised to see how different it appears compared to my other two similar shaped vases which are both dated 1976 and also both signed. The faceted effect is much more pronounced on the 1975 vase giving the appearance of "windows" on each of the 4 sides. Compared to the 1976 vases, the older vase is slightly smaller in height and width and whilst the 1976 vases both have faceted sides, this earlier example has clearly defined "windows" on each side. I wonder if any of you knowledgeable people have come across an example like this before.  Whilst writing, my two 1976 signed vases have different signatures on each of them and if anyone is able to identify the signatures, I would be most grateful. I have always assumed they were each signed by one of the Said brothers?  I shall also post a new thread about an early Pheonician Glass vase I was very fortunate to spot on Ebay recently. Thank you in advance.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
These are all hand-made, unique pieces - so there is a lot of variation between them. Some of them only have "facetted" sides which have been flattened on the marver - but then not subsequently polished.

These were considered to be "serious art works" rather than little touristy things, (which of course, they ARE  ;D ) and so should have a signature of some sort on them.
These "signature marks" were carried out by mostly Eric Dobson, but some were done by Marie - Vicente Boffo's niece, who worked in the packaging department.
It was a marketting thing, but if there is a signature mark on something, it is a superior thing.

The tops can vary considerably too, sometimes a bit think and clunky with tool marks or just a heat finished broken raggedy top. Sometimes they're nice and neat and round.

The biggest difference between the actual construction of these facetted "cubes" that I have noticed is that some contain a "crizzle web" and others do not.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I think your first signature mark is Dobson's and your second is Marie's.
I can't see the vases quite well enough to see if the crizzle web is in them or not.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nannycamera

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Family and Maltese Glass
    • UK
Thank you Sue for your quick response. I am delighted to have two signed and dated vases and you were able to identify the signatures. I have always wanted a piece signed by Dobson so am super pleased. Regarding the crizzle effect apologies for the poor picture quality but I had to tweek and reduce the size and quality of the photos to enable me to upload them. The two signed vases do indeed have an intricate design inside and softer colour combinations. The new vase, which is a year older, has a brighter and more solid internal colours and gives the effect similar to looking through a telescope the wrong way! lol. I was fortunate to acquire both these signed vases a couple of years ago before prices started to increase and the most recent addition for not much more.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Dobson did make the signature mark on most pieces. Marie's mark is a bit spikier and less common.

I'm delighted to meet another fan of these cubes.  ;D
You do realise that they're exactly the same as the (highly-rated) cut-ice lollipops? Just not flattened our sideways. But for some strange reason the cubes are not seen in the same light.

They absolutely should be. ;D

There is a whole load of techie and other help and info. here to give you some extra hints about posting images without losing resolution. :)
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand