No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Richardsons (sic) glass ; Christy & Co ; J. F. Christy Stangate 1848  (Read 2770 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
From The Railway Chronicle for 1848:

on the link on page 218 and 266 under Summerly's Art-manufactures  there are a number of items described as made by Richardsons (sic) - The V & A show a vase and write it as having Richardson's vitrified as a mark.

On page 738 some items with for sale prices as well.

On page 218 (No 379) it mentions an opal glass jug made by Richardsons and which received a prize in 1846.

On page 218 (No 388 and 389) it mentions Tendril wine glass made by Richardsons designed and ornamented in enamel colours and No 390 says it was the same  but coated in green glass and cut.

on page 218 (no 374 and 376) The " Water Lily goblet " and The Well Spring Decanter , Jug , and  a Water Vase made by Christy & Co

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pJRMAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA912&dq=the+art+journal+1849+wine+glass&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiE-ba378zjAhVPSsAKHbDuC6cQ6AEISTAH#v=onepage&q=%20wine%20glass&f=false

https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O1089/well-spring-carafe-redgrave-richard-cb/

From a site called Revolutionary Players where there appears to be a good number of Richardson pieces uploaded from the Broadfield House museum as far as I can tell:

https://www.revolutionaryplayers.org.uk/richardson-acid-etched-wine-glass/

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Richardsons (sic) glass ; Christy & Co ; J. F. Christy Stangate 1848
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 08:57:17 PM »
I've probably written about this somewhere before but searching something else tonight I came across two marks for Richardson / Richardsons / Richardson's  (?who knows?)

One is a stamped mark in dark grey (black faded?) ink saying
'RICHARDSON (in a curved banner)
VITRIFIED
ENAMEL COLORS'

The other is the base of a Water Lilies jug and that says
'RICHARDSON'S
VITRIFIED
all encased in a swirled oval cartouche thing
with the RD diamond enameled underneath.

Just curious about the name being different.
So thought I'd add this here for future ref.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 01:47:06 AM »
Hadjamach, British Glass 1800-1914 illustrates five Richardson marks (pre 1851):

- RICHARDSON'S VITRIFIED (transfer printed mark)
- RICHARDSON VITRIFIED ENAMEL COLORS (same as your "stampled mark")
- RICHARDSON'S VITRIFIED over lozenge mark (as your other example)
- RICHARDSON'S STOURBRIDGE (circular with "P" mark in centre) [I have an example]
- not a clear mark, described in text as "Richard Redgrave" and "Richardson" (But I read the factory detail as "RICHARDSON'S VITRIFIED")

So that's 4 for "Richardson's" and 1 for "Richardson".

Somewhere in the main text of the 30 pages for the chapter, "The Richardson Dynasty" may lie the answer to the "...son's / ...son" query.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 05:24:26 AM »
 :) I should have looked at the book.
 I wonder why the one said Richardson not Richardson's.  Was it timing?  Did Richardson invent the vitrified colours process so his name rather than the name of the company went on the bottom at first? 
I will go and have read this weekend.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »
sorry if I've missed seeing something, but ………………

if it helps at all, I have the following taken from Mark West's 'GLASS Antiques Checklist - small booklet format from the Miller's emporium first published 1994 - page 182 - regarding marks and labels etc.

W.H.B. & J. Richardson -
Wordsley, England.  c. 1836- 1850 when it became Henry G. Richardson & Sons (see below).
Signature:  enamel decoration and signature.    Early decorations were black; later polychrome.     One piece of each set was signed:

RICHARDSON'S  VITRIFIED

RICHARDSON'S VITRIFIED
ENAMEL COLOURS

Signed on vessel with classical figures painted in iron red:
RICHARDSON'S  STOURBRIDGE

Henry G. Richardson & Sons
Wordsley, England.     Sold to Thomas Webb about 1930
Trademark, Registration date not known. 

follow by:        RICHARDSON'S (over a union flag)
with                  BRITISH      (underneath the flag)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand