No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: what is the bowl design referred to?  (Read 4432 times)

Offline jonspencer

• Members
  • slowly learning more about local glass
    • lighting
    • Italy
what is the bowl design referred to?
« on: August 01, 2019, 11:37:09 AM »
and is there some way to learn who made it?

it has a Murano label on the bottom

size: 8.5 x 8.5 x 4 inches

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: what is the bowl design referred to?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 12:39:58 PM »
I think the technique used to produce the thin swirly lines is called combing.
That term might help you with a search?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 03:02:36 PM »
I have something similar on another thread, without the white casing, and my searches suggested this type of bowl is referred to as biomorphic

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,68410.msg380567.html#msg380567

I haven't followed up on Ardy's suggestion yet......it's on the list for the weekend.

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 03:40:36 PM »
That's the overall shape of the bowl.  :)
It's reminiscent of amoebas.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline BDG55

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 10:46:57 PM »
and is there some way to learn who made it?

it has a Murano label on the bottom

size: 8.5 x 8.5 x 4 inches

Your dish/bowl was made by Fratelli Toso.  I've included some examples of their bowls.  It's not possible to list every form nor color, but there's enough there to leave no doubt as to it being a FT piece.   Rick

https://postimg.cc/gallery/z2797c8m/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 01:05:01 AM »
Rick you may well be right but my concern is I think the label is a generic Murano label and FT used their own label.

Its in the label sticky at the top. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=102&pos=83

I had a couple of examples similar to this but in different colours, they had to go to make way for A.Seguso!
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline jonspencer

• Members
    • lighting
    • Italy
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 12:12:09 PM »
glad to hear it might be a Fratelli Toso

these bowls and vases tend to be far cheaper without any Murano stickers on them  ;D

Offline BDG55

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano
    • USA
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 06:36:25 AM »
Rick you may well be right but my concern is I think the label is a generic Murano label and FT used their own label.

Its in the label sticky at the top. http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=102&pos=83

I had a couple of examples similar to this but in different colours, they had to go to make way for A.Seguso!

Yes Ardy, FT had their own labels, but it's not uncommon to find a piece bearing a second one as well. FT, in addition to their company label, affixed a second, "Made in Italy" or "Genuine Venetian Glass" type label on their export pieces to further identify them as Murano. Additionally, importers such as Gamer, Castle and J.I. Company, affixed their own labels, so finding a second label is not unusual. 

I've attached a pic of a some FT labels. The pair in the lower left, is an example of their use of two; one FT and one export, so it's very possible that your original label simply came off in the wash leaving only the generic.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2gj270rli/

Now, with your piece having no FT label, you need to rely on other "markers" to help with attribution, and the form, colors, base detail (the horseshoe shaped applications) and pinwheel, "Starry Night" decor on your dish are all common FT design elements, so I feel confident that it's an authentic FT dish..

Although marked pieces are always preferable, with so many fake labels and signatures out there, you don't want to rely solely on a label or signature to ID a piece.

Here's a link to an article I wrote for Collectors Weekly dealing specifically with fake Chinese Murano labels...

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/152009-murano-labels

Rick

Offline jonspencer

• Members
    • lighting
    • Italy
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 07:13:49 AM »
good article

I feel there is no need to lay all the blame on Asian glass makers in China, Taiwan or Thailand........

there are a number of cheap similar looking to Murano copies being imported by actual Italian companies ordering from Asia

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand