No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ASTRACOLOR glasses  (Read 1253 times)

Offline AliceM

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
ASTRACOLOR glasses
« on: August 12, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
Hi all, just reposting this as I used an inappropriate image in the last post. Thank you the mods for being kind and helping me there.

I am asking about glass marked 'HANDMADE/ASTRACOLOR/THE SIGN OF FINE GLASS WARE'. I see it a fair amount in Australian second hand shops, but when I search "astracolor" online, in the search bar on this website and other places, I get some listings for sale on ebay etc, but no info at all on the brand/make/origin. Another forum helped me to narrow it down to most likely Czech and possibly 1950-60s. I am hoping that others can confirm this and/or add more information.

What is this glassware? Is it definitely Czech(I know it is not British or Australian as we spell it colour)? I have mainly seen it on harlequin glass and wine glasses that look quite aged. I have included some photos of the coloured glasses I have, and some that I saw in a second hand shop last week and went back to photograph for this post. 

Any and all info about this label is very much appreciated.
Thank you, Alice

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: ASTRACOLOR glasses
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
Thanks for uploading your own images, Alice, much appreciated. 

I have located a couple of labelled Astracolor items on eBay (Australia mainly) which also carry separate Made in Czechoslovakia labels, but the most interesting one was the image here which shows the label on yours with the addition of Made in Czechoslovakia on the same label as well. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/e98AAOSwpDRdT4f~/s-l1600.jpg

It may be that not all Astracolor items were Czech made but unless we find a catalogue or advertisements showing them we can't be sure.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline AliceM

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Re: ASTRACOLOR glasses
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:30:36 AM »
That is a great find Anne! Thank you very much. I think I will go with that they are most likely Czech and most likely from the 60s. I really appreciate you finding the image, it makes me feel more confident as people always ask and I look a fool for not knowing!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand