No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large ribbed, clear glass vase with gold flecks and bubbles.  (Read 2942 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Large ribbed, clear glass vase with gold flecks and bubbles.
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
28cm tall, c.9.5cm rim diameter, weighs 1912g.  3rd image is of the base taken from inside the top rim.

Flat, polished base with good wear marks - especially convincing wear to the leading edge of the bottom of each rib......suspect these areas were left very slightly proud at the time of making, so the middle of the base has had less surface contact and has less wear marks.

It looks as though it should be Barovier & Toso, or maybe Seguso, but there are some things I'm not sure about.

The random bubbles and the thin/patchy areas of gold - are these usual, or a sign of poor quality? 

I have been unable to find an image of another similar piece with such prominent "petals" on the rim (I would be most grateful if somebody could remind me how to describe this type of rim, as my mind has just gone completely blank). 

Other things about the rim that "bother" me - there are 16 ribs on the body of the piece and only 13 "petals", and the petals are all different in size and spacing.  On all of the ribbed pieces I have seen, each rib is finished individually at the rim.

My daughter-in-law is really hoping its nothing special, as she fell in love with it - predominantly because it matches their curtains.  I dare not show it to her now that I've cleaned it!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: Large ribbed, clear glass vase with gold flecks and bubbles.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 03:23:10 PM »
Close up of body, showing bubbles and gold flecks.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 05:54:19 PM »
Could easily see it being from Seguso, the clear glass and gold leaf is fine. Construction too, the shape is not from a mould, rods of glass were picked up to form the ribs. Maybe scalloped for the rim but looks almost like they have grown into fingers. Can't say it looks that untidy to me from your photos, think it is quite a large example too and a nice vase whether Archimede Seguso or not.

John

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 06:39:27 PM »
Thank you John, I was just looking at this one, but the photos have gone from the original sale so I can only see the main picture.  This one is signed and I did wonder if it should be signed if it is Seguso.

https://images.app.goo.gl/7gJtMjLD2PePhNnh8

Scalloped was the word I had lost......but fingers was what I nearly put instead of petals.  The one in the link above is the closest I have found for the elongated fingers, and it would have been really helpful to be able to see more pictures.

The untidy bit was me thinking the fingers in barovier & toso and Seguso pieces usually appear to be fairly uniformly distributed, and the size and height.  In mine it looks more hit and miss.

This is my first piece, other than a lamp base some years ago, so I can only go by pictures for comparison.
Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
20thcenturyglass have a different pink vase, attributed to Seguso, with very similar fingers

https://www.20thcenturyglass.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7800
Cat 😺

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:33:47 AM »
Much much smaller than yours, just highlights to me that yours is on the large side but would also expect that even taller examples were made. The lack of signature in my experience is normal.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 05:54:30 PM »
Cat 😺

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 07:10:13 PM »
Prefer the gold, more subtle!

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 05:19:25 PM »
Another potential maker - Formia Vetri di Murano.  Labelled example here, and it appears to have 16 ribs.  The fingers at the top do not appear to be completely uniform, although it isn't easy to tell with just one picture available now.

https://www.marks4antiques.com/apa/Formia-Murano-glass-vase-Clear-72ee3
Cat 😺

Offline jonspencer

• Members
  • slowly learning more about local glass
    • lighting
    • Italy
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 06:19:31 PM »
great info, thanks

interesting that one side of my vase is taller than the other

and if you look at the flutes on an angle, they appear clear and not green

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand