No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: signed Seguso table lamp  (Read 20316 times)

Offline jonspencer

• Members
  • slowly learning more about local glass
    • lighting
    • Italy
signed Seguso table lamp
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:45:39 PM »
I bought this lamp today and I was sort of surprised it was signed

it looks legitimate but I suppose somebody could forge (+ etch) the signature easily enough

nice looking lamp though all the same

39 tall x 15 wide cm

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: signed Seguso table lamp
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:39 AM »
I'd say that is not an Archimede Seguso signature and never seen one like that. Looks like put on by the owner.
Love the lamp btw and could be Seguso VdA but not my area, others here more knowledgeable than I.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline jonspencer

• Members
    • lighting
    • Italy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 12:26:38 PM »
the signature on the lamp looks relatively similar to others (see attached)

what I also found odd is the lamp is comprised of 4 pieces that are basically held in place by the long lamp bolt and a nut

the signature is on the middle piece of glass out of the top 3 pieces and not on the base or other pieces?

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:12:08 PM »
Jon, not sure the second signature is correct either. I had some examples of AS signature but they ain't there now! The fake Vase I bought from Japan had a decent copy of his signature, he signed only a few best pieces, the signature on my piece is quite small and neat.  I have several 'serious' pieces of AS and none of them are signed. Mind you there are pieces fetching 30-60,000 and I don't have any of those!
The bolt is not unusual unless it is steel mostly they are copper rod. Signed in the middle is unusual.
I have a collection of about 15 lamps I have picked up mostly labelled. I got scared re copies at one stage and went for labels as the only semi-safe solution.

Archimede tops my list.

Offline jonspencer

• Members
    • lighting
    • Italy
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:53:35 PM »
as I read your message now in front of another lamp I purchased at the same market as the supposed signed Seguso, it makes no difference to me if it is a proven Murano or not, it looks fabulous  ;D

that said, you are correct that the Seguso lamp was very likely rebuilt, there are 3 individual pieces on the base and they are not tied together with adhesive or a mechanism + there is a fancy new gold textile power cord.

(the attached lamp has 1.44 metres of clear glass comprised of 15 separate pieces on a quality base)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 04:31:22 AM »
Love it and close up can see why that one might be seguso.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »
Lol......I have sooooo much to learn......I looked at it up close and thought it might be barovier & toso......it reminded me a bit of this one I saw when researching my ribbed vase

https://www.incollect.com/listings/furniture/lighting/barovier-toso-floor-lamp-by-barovier-toso-1940-in-murano-glass-marble-and-brass-290366
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:37:15 PM »
See what you mean Cat. Aren't they beautiful? Just not in vogue atm but it all turns all the time.

I have an art deco one that is built like that but not glass, made out of Bakelite!
Archimede tops my list.

Offline jonspencer

• Members
    • lighting
    • Italy
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 06:09:54 PM »
I like how the glass looks with the light on

not so sure about this particular lamp shade, probably needs to be shorter and more white?

it seems tricky to find the right lamp shade and best type/size of bulb, LED does not look as good as an incandescent source does on some lighting and many of these lamp shades cost more than the whole table lamp did  ;D

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 08:57:14 AM »
Shades are harder to pick than the lamps sometimes. I am still struggling with a couple of mine after owning them for 4 YEARS!!!!!
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand