No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Drinking glass, help please.  (Read 2546 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Drinking glass, help please.
« on: August 26, 2019, 11:06:11 PM »
Came from the White House Cone, raising funds for the museum. 5 inches tall, wear and tool marks, etched 'Joseph Hill' it came with a sticky label saying '19th century, North East England' and according to the receptionist it was written by Charles Hajdamach, looks good to me, any opinions ?  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Drinking glass, help please.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
mean to say you're doubting C.H., Keith? ;D          It does sound a tad vague to say simply C19?  -  perhaps we should consult the receptionist in future - you should persuade her to join the GMB.          Still the main thing is you've supported a worthy cause;-)

my opinions are ………………..   the decoration looks to be pteridomania - which is more likely to imply second half C19, though not an infallible guide - S. & F. contains shed loads of glass with this type of decoration, and the book dates to around 1880 from memory.               Also looks to be wheel engraved and not etched - does that sound about right.         Is there a pontil scar - depression or whatever  -  can't see clearly from the pix.

Bet you wish you hadn't asked  ;D ;D

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
Hello Paul, as if I would  :o ;D ;D I'd have asked her to join but she was busy with cakes and tea, she was surrounded by a lot of 'older' ladies, or should I say more mature ? will have to google pteriodomania, thought that was a flying dinosaur ! it has a small polished pontil mark and I'll be happy with late 19th, ta.  ;D ;D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:57:26 PM »
Hey Keith, this will tell you about pteridomania! https://www.thevintagenews.com/2018/05/29/victorian-ferns/ :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »
Thanks Anne, I googled it, still sounds like a dinosaur  ;D ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum