No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1950s look vase with silver, gilt and enamel decoration.  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
1950s look vase with silver, gilt and enamel decoration.
« on: August 29, 2019, 06:42:13 PM »
Any ideas who made this very retro look vase would be much appreciated.  Very dark amethyst/black with gilt bands top and bottom with gilt and silver discs and yellow enamel raised dot decoration.
It reminded me of those Borske Sklo amethyst cylinder vases with gilt bands, but haven't a clue about mine and can't think of another glassworks which uses this type of decoration  Lots of age related wear on the base and I'm guessing it might be 1950s/early 60s.  Measuring 19" high and quite thick walled with a 5mm wide flat polished rim.
TIA :)
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: 1950s look vase with silver, gilt and enamel decoration.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 07:27:27 PM »
Borske Sklo seems a good bet to me

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Re: 1950s look vase with silver, gilt and enamel decoration.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »
I think I might have got a bit closer to its origins.  I've been searching for a similar style vase and keep coming up with VEB Kunstglas Wasungen und Ilmenau which basically means the following in order:  Manufacturer - Art Glass - Location (in Thuringia Germany).  VEB being the "name" for collective State operated works in the GDR c.1950-90).    There are lots of similar style black vases (schwarzglas) with enamel and gilt decoration but knowing which company in the collective actually might have made it - I can only guess, but I think I might be on the right track as to where it might have come from::).  So far I've found vases made at VEB Kunstglas Gehren, VEB Kunstglas Arnstadt - one of which is very similar to mine from VEB Kunstglas Wasungen. There might be more, I don't know.   I've had to rely on translations during my search and may not have got everything accurate.
Hope this lot makes some sense ;D

This is a previous posting with a "similar" style.
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,67487.0.html
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand