No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Three pieces straw opal James Powell  (Read 9022 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Three pieces straw opal James Powell
« on: August 31, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »
Recent auction purchases. Paid dearly [ $500.00 ] but had to have them. "thrown wavy rim" vases are 23.75 cm tall. Compote/vase is 23 cm tall. Foot has pattern molded ribs.  Seems to mirror in shape to middle illus. fig.19 page 11 in Jacksons book. All have small snapped off rough pontils.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Three pieces straw opal James Powell
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 10:20:42 PM »
I wouldn't have thought that figure expensive for genuine Powell, last quarter C19, Venetian style glass.                Was there any indication of previous ownership or provenance for these pieces?               Impossibly thin and delicate so oodles of caution and care - in fact don't ever pick them up and show them only under full protection of a cabinet. ;)

Did the auction house guarantee their authenticity?

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 11:21:58 PM »
Attribution to a specific American collection. No attribution as to maker. Listed as vaseline opalescent .The thrown wavy rim vases are thin, seems to be quite strong though, probably do to excellent annealing.The attribution is mine, based on my knowledge. Not a bargain, but great example of excellent workmanship, materials and process.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 07:20:53 AM »
I still don't consider the price paid to be expensive for such historical items  -  where else are you going to find them for less money? :)                 Unfortunately, many of us who are collectors of whatever, are tempted to pay an amount of shekels -  that others who lack such interests - find incomprehensible - I'd die with embarrassment to tell you what I paid for a 1942 Rupert Annual.             What else might you buy today that will hold its value and be saleable still, in years to come.
Of course this presupposes that our purchases are always authentic - we just have to hope that our passion and the red mist doesn't lead us into error ;)

Nice pieces that will show well  -  agree annealing must have been well understood - wonder what/if the failure rate of such material was.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 09:15:32 AM »
I think you got a bargain. Well done

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum