No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any Idea Of Maker?  (Read 4210 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
Any Idea Of Maker?
« on: September 01, 2019, 09:19:33 AM »
picked up this weight yesterday which I thought was Strathearn but I cannot find some of the canes in Strathearn especially the pink cane, David Moir that worked with the Ysarts and Strathearn said he doesn't think its Strathearn as he doesn't recognise the canes and the pink one especially, anyone any ideas? flat polished base measures around 3 inches across
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Any Idea Of Maker?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »
Hi Gary,

In my view, this is a Strathearn weight. Spaced canes on filigree cushion. The pink silhouette cane is new to me and I do not know what is intended to be - perhaps a seated dog or maybe a teddy bear?

I am aware (via a photo in John Simmonds' book on weights from Great Britain) of the Cat silhouette - black cat in white surround. If the black cat cane was removed from the weight then it would match general features, but not necessarily exact canes, of your weight. The only main difference would be that yours is about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter so has a few less canes. The weight in John's book has an "S" signature cane and a "69" date cane.

Main features that tie up with this Strathearn design are:
- mixed "chunky" filigree cushion
- spaced colourful canes
- use of 20 rib mould to produce the sharp star / cog points on many of the canes
- several canes with internal 8-point star design and each point having its own 3-point structure
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 10:35:52 PM »
Thanks Kevin for your reply, my weight is also 3.4 inches  as I just measured it properly this time, as I said I did think when I bought it that it was Strathearn just I could not find that cane and when Dave Moir said it wasn't Strathearn then that had me more puzzled but thanks again with your ID on it just a pity it wasn't easier to make out what it is  meant to be on the cane,
                                   Gary
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:06:39 AM »
As well as a dog can also see a cat or a chess piece in the pink cane.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »
I see a face on head and shoulders of the queen with crown?
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand