No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Iittala 70th Anniversary Commemorative Aalto Vase  (Read 1812 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Iittala 70th Anniversary Commemorative Aalto Vase
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »
I hadn't seen this colourway before, and only found two others when searching, so I thought I would add it to the board as one to look out for.  These vases were designed in 1936 - amazing really, when you look at most other glass being produced at that time - so the 70th anniversary coincided with the 125 years of Iittala in 2006.  6.25" tall and a hefty 1612g.

The website below states that these were made to "...commemorate the 70th anniversary of Alvar Aalto’s historical design. The outside of this remarkable vase is a white (opal) glass and inside is cased with an [sic] forest green....".   

https://www.finnstyle.com/white-green-vase.html

NB: The piece is also clear cased on the outside.

I have no idea what they say about it on the website below, but if you scroll down you can see it in 5 colour variations - green, blue, orange, navy (or maybe black), and one that looks like mustard.  Hopefully it doesn't say you can buy them from China!

http://blog.lumiukko.jp/news/新作情報/28317

Its really hard to see, but there is a small acid mark of the logo and Iittala on the base, as well as the label on the front.

Whilst researching this, I came across a couple of copies of the Iittala 125 years book for £200+ and £300+, which had me eyeing up my copy......until I found them on Amazon for £40+!

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Iittala 70th Anniversary Commemorative Aalto Vase
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 10:46:30 PM »
According to Google, the translation reads...

Ultramarine x White is exactly the same colour as the Finnish flag.
The long 50mm size and the larger one is 160mm.

Duo is a delicate base with different colours on the inside and outside, but generally one is white.
Recently, Memorial Ver was released in 2006 on the 70th anniversary of the birth of Aalto Base.

At that time, five colours were released and a dedicated storage bag was attached in addition to the box.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:54:06 AM »
Thank you Anne......I hadn't realised google translator could cope with oriental characters.  Given the number of links that go to Chinese language sites, that's going to be very useful!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 01:20:13 PM »
It does a reasonable job, Cat. Better than with some European languages at times!  ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand