No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina "Blue Roman" pattern vase  (Read 1735 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Mdina "Blue Roman" pattern vase
« on: September 26, 2019, 11:56:24 AM »
Time to find out whether I've been paying attention in Mdina Glass class.

I think this is a 5" "Blue Roman" pattern (commonly referred to as chevron pattern) vase.  Designed by Joseph Said.  It is clear cased, and has a lovely iridescent comet-y trail.

I have read a number of threads about labels, and about the only thing I could say with any certainty is that its not the earliest variant, and not the plastic 1990's label.  Suggesting a date after 1985.

Marked on the bottom, which could have been done by anyone.  However, there are a couple of fairly distinctive features about the script in that it has a capital D and A.  I've powdered its bottom so that the mark is fairly clear.

Haven't been able to find out when this pattern was first produced, other than after 1975.  My gut says this piece is between 1985-1995.

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina "Blue Roman" pattern vase
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »
It is the deeper "jewell-like" blue, and the script is not an early one.
I don't know when they stopped trying to get the silver trails on the outside - I suspect this might be towards the end of that. It did require a sort of special knack to be able to replicate the accident that caused it to happen, not everybody could.
I think I can give you 10/10.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Mdina "Blue Roman" pattern vase
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 03:30:51 PM »
Awe.....shucks, thank you Sue 🍏 🤓
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand