No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opaline, enamelled and gilded 6.5cm vase  (Read 841 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Opaline, enamelled and gilded 6.5cm vase
« on: September 26, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
Hopefully I have finally mastered the distinction between opal/opaline/opalescent.

I think this is a Bohemian, opaline, hand-painted, vase, c.1890.  The gilded features on the floral panel are very rubbed, but gilding is still apparent on the flat rim.  There is frit in the glass, and some tiny pin-pricks in some areas on the surface.  Flashes of red inside when it catches the sun - I have tried to show this - and it looks amber/red inside when held up to strong light.

I'm not expecting to identify the maker, but I would think maybe Harrach as a strong contender.

It's funny to think that, when I bought it in a mixed box about 30 years ago, I didn't really rate it at all.  Now, after taking it out of a boot sale box dated 2001, and applying what I've learnt over the years, I think its just the sweetest little thing.

The white triangle on the base is just to help the camera focus.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Opaline, enamelled and gilded 6.5cm vase
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 07:51:11 PM »
Is this one really only 6.5 cms. tall?          Some people here have spilled gallons of ink discussing the definitions of some of these names. ;D
The general appearance of this and many very similar vases, often showing enamel painting, probably do come from eastern Europe, though couldn't say who made them to save my life - they turn up commonly in charity shops even now though not so frequently  -  have to say I always had them down as low end of the market, but even lowly vases need someone to love them.
Obviously not opalescent - think of Jobling, Burtles and Tate and those large pike - that stuff can be seen a mile away.

According to Mark West, the real C19 opaline - think of Baccarat - have the sunset glow/fire due to the inclusion of gold oxide added to the mix/batch  -  I take his word for it.

Opal was one of the names that Sowerby gave to a particular plain white opal-shade of opaque Vitro-Porcelain - though I'm sure it's an oft used word covering many things - too good a word to waste probably.

In glass the fiery glow was also created by the addition of phosphate in the form of calcined animal bones (does calcined come from calcium?),
though apparently later opalescent glass used phosphates of alumina and fluorine - so the book says.

My suggestion would be that this is simply an opaque vase that had the inclusion of phosphate of some kind added to the mix, to give the glow, but shame the gilding has mostly gone.         Not a clue as to age, but might have suggested early C20, but you sound confident with c. 1890.
Perhaps it's now time for it to hold some flowers :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 08:26:19 PM »
Yes, honestly.....just a shade over 2.5"..... It might cope with a very small bunch of snowdrops lol.

I've been reading a lot of the postings on the subject, it's great that people have taken the time to try and help clarify it.  This piece is more "blush" coloured than white, too opaque for opal and, as best I can determine, not opalescent.

I agree it is a "low end of the market" piece, Just thought it would be a useful one for me to test my understanding of everything I've been looking at and learning this year.  It feels late Victorian to me, so c.1900 would be fine.

Thanks, as always, for the reply, Paul.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »
an unusual size then!  -  years back I used to buy one or two of these things, thinking they might be special but they never were but I seem to recall they were mostly an average sort of vase size  -  this is very small for one of this type.

I don't recall there being much agreement when we used to discuss these things - always seemed that the arguments/discussion went on the months - I think some of these words have been interpreted variously over the years, and not always correctly.

Heavens, don't use the word 'blush' - you'll have everyone thinking you have a piece of 'Burmese' art glass ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 02:20:56 PM »
for violets?

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »
It could be painted with a stylised version of a violet flower.  Good thinking, m.
Cat 😺

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »
probably stylized period - looking quickly I thought they were plums ;) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand