No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Low wash bowl"  (Read 2464 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: "Low wash bowl"
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 09:19:31 AM »
OK, will try to pull something together that does more than just ask about my piece. 
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
Cenedese were also making these c.1990 - I've got a cobalt blue one with a label... somewhere in storage.

I've also an unidentified one with controlled bubbles throughout.

Both come in at around 50-60cm diameter.

The style of the pontil mark for this one would suggest, perhaps, Cappellin: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32868.msg178867.html#msg178867

And I'd say there is a fair chance that Sotheby's '1960-1970' one is 1920s-30s Artistica Soffiera e Vetreria - Baroveri Seguso & Ferro: http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/lot.166.html/2005/the-pauly-collection-of-murano-glass-mi0257# - unless they were later remade by/for Pauly/CVM.

Heireman's Seguso book doesn't cover this design, but it does cover *some* of the convoluted history of CVM and the companies it was an agent for.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 10:14:17 PM »
Ahh......that might be the answer on the blue bowl from eBay in my first post on this thread.  I did contact the seller to make them aware of this topic on the board.

Thanks for adding to the thread, Nic.  Still trying to figure out the best approach when I contact the museum - I'm thinking just ask what is known about these pieces, and see what they come back with, rather than including anything about what we've already found/discussed. 
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2020, 02:51:40 PM »
Found another one in a box!  This one is 34cm (13.5") diameter, and weighs 685g.  Very hard to capture the colour.....it's very pale pink.  16 ribs to the base, wide Wrythen rim.  It has a proper folded over edge that is not completely flat in some places (see picture). 

Unfortunately, water/debris has built up under this folded edge - any ideas how I can clean it, as I can't get anything into the gap?

When we were discussing these pieces, I was so focused on the number of ribs that I didn't consider that there are distinct differences in the finishes on the edges.  The ruby piece has more of a moulded ridge to the rim, the edge on this one is actually folded over, and John's gold one appears more of a flat, unfolded rim.

I will get on and contact the museum about these pieces in the next few weeks.
Cat 😺

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
Build up in folded edge

Cat 😺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand