No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: info regarding paperweight snow globe 1878  (Read 1787 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
info regarding paperweight snow globe 1878
« on: October 11, 2019, 08:23:48 AM »
I don't know if anyone has ever posted about these but I came across an interesting report from the Paris 1878 exhibition of a snow globe, glass filled with water and a man with an umbrella inside which when turned upside down also has white snow flakes in it :)

'A. Bucan & Dupontieu, at Creteil; V. Becker, Pantin; G. Trauffler, Pantin; Boirre Ainé, G. Pinck, M. Jean, and Buglet, of Paris, also exhibited very fine enamel decorated wares, such as vases, goblets, tumblers, toilet-boxes, jugs, plate-glass plaques, looking-glass frames with enamel decorated borders, candle lusters, mounted in gilt, and silvered metal bobéches (a small disk put on top of the candlestick, with a hole bored through it to admit the candle) of colored glass, cut, gilt and enameled. Paper weights of hollow balls filled with water, containing a man with an umbrella. These balls also contain a white powder which, when the paper weight is turned upside down, falls in imitation of a snow storm. Vases covered over with a peculiar purple bronze-looking enamel, imitating the iridescent colors of glass. Silvered vases, glass balls, and candlesticks. Bunches of grapes, silvered or colored inside in blue, green, and ruby. Articles decorated in opaque colors in very high relief. This style of decoration looks well, as it relieves the monotony of a flat surface. Engraved and enameled articles.'

see page 267 of the linked article- report by Commissioner Blake (USA? -I believe if I read correctly) on glass at the 1878 exhibition:

http://www.glass-study.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=221:glass-and-glass-ware-paris-1878-03&catid=207:us-congress-report-paris-1878&Itemid=199

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: info regarding paperweight snow globe 1878
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 11:23:00 AM »
Pre-Magritte!
  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:03:20 AM »
I wonder whether any survived. I would love to see one...

SophieB

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »
Having a quick google there appears to be the odd antique snow globe but I couldn't see one of the umbrella man. 

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 10:29:55 PM »
I don't recall which book, but a 20th century (1920s/30s?) author wrote about [Victorian?] Snow Domes coming out of China ... The author was not complimentary about the domes when consiidered in the light of, say, French 19th century paperweights.

KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 10:35:53 PM »
Kev, do you mean they were actually made in China in the 19th Century?  Or were you being sarcastic and they were made in China in the 30s as a copy of 'Victorian' era snow domes?

The report was from the actual Exhibition so I would have assumed the snow dome he talked about was contemporary to 1878. I was about to also write 'I would have assumed French' but given Bohemian glass was being exported in tonnage during that period I removed that part.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 10:55:59 PM »
Kev, do you mean they were actually made in China in the 19th Century?  Or were you being sarcastic and they were made in China in the 30s as a copy of 'Victorian' era snow domes?

:) I am never sarcastic on the GMB :)

My understanding was that the author meant, "coming out of China in the [late?] 19th century". I will have to find the book and check to be sure.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 05:57:23 AM »
Thank you  :)

Offline LesBeatiques

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • U.S.
    • The Paperweight Collection
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 07:11:31 PM »
Hi Flying Free,

Evangeline Bergstrom included a example of this snow globe in her book "Old Glass Paperweights" (Figure 23). There she asserts that "All the snow weights were French." and this example in particular is Baccarat. I have no evidence that to support or contradict her claims - however these do seem to have a French aesthetic.

It is important to note that to contemporary paperweight collectors snow globes are not paperweights.

Best Regards,
Eric

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 07:40:25 PM »
Thank you Kev and Eric for the extra information.
I don't have one. I just thought it was very interesting because I DO love a snowglobe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand