No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large vase with green crystalline/ice coating over clear glass  (Read 734 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Large vase with green crystalline/ice coating over clear glass
« on: October 12, 2019, 02:48:59 PM »
This piece is owned by a lady who works at the emporium where I recently rented a cabinet.  She can see I "do" glass, and she asked me if I could tell her anything about it.  I remember seeing these pieces about 15-20 years ago, but they were thin glass, fluted pieces - similar to the orange one from 2006 in the link below (one of a few threads where these have been discussed).  I was going to return it with the information that it is modern, possibly made in Spain, possibly recycled glass, and the advice to be careful with the finish.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7559.msg63879.html#msg63879

However, there is some quality to the manufacture, and the glass is quite thick - as seen on the polished rim which has a slight bevel on the outside edge.  The finish does not come off with a finger nail, but a sharp knife will chip it away.  At approx. 9.5" high, and almost 7" diameter at the top, it is also much bigger than any pieces I have seen with this finish.  The base is approx. 1.5" thick - I suspect to give some stability to a top heavy piece.  weight 1696g. Concave polished base, and no apparent bubbles or inclusions in the glass.

I found a decanter on ebay that is at least "vintage" (but no indication of a date given)  ::), possibly "antique"  ::) and maybe "French"   ;D, and the base is nowhere near as well finished as on this piece.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-CRYSTALLINE-ART-GLASS-TALL-BOTTLE-GREEN-SWIRLS-3-DAY-SHIPPING-/223560136149?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=nfKMpd7wpltb8Nq64kgtqeEPbO0%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I haven't been able to find anything this size or shape, and the longer it sat on the kitchen shelf, the more I started to think I should get another opinion before I give it back, in case there is any more up-to-date information around.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Large vase with green crystalline/ice coating over clear glass
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 07:45:32 PM »
There is an American Jack Frost finish that might be worth some research. The ebay one looks to be a modern sprayed on finish

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Large vase with green crystalline/ice coating over clear glass
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »
Hi Christine, thank you for the reply.

Suspect you are thinking of the Tiffin Glass Jack Frost, which appears to have a more textured finish and doesn't look like an applied finish.  I think this piece is modern, and it does have an applied coating.  I was surprised not to have found any other pieces apart from the eBay one, which I agree is not as described in the listing.

Since posting, I think I recall seeing a piece years ago with a marks and spencer label, and it may be that they had a range made with thicker/better quality glass and finish, by the Spanish maker of the thinner, fluted pieces.

I think I will return it with that information.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand