No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars catalogues? Where can i find them please?  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Whitefriars catalogues? Where can i find them please?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 09:11:46 PM »
without seeing your glass it's not possible to be certain - are you able to post a picture?.              Pattern 9651 is a quite different shape to 9654 but does appear in the same two catalogues  -  it's truncated from the base upward (noticeably cone shaped), appears very heavily cased in clear (though don't think I've seen one in the flesh) and looks to have been made in just the one height of 9.5 inches, though colours look to have been the same as 9654.
9651 appears in Jackson and shows all three colours - page 137 plate 151.

Offline Janet

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »
Thank you so much for your help Paul.
It does sound like it could be a 9651. Hopefully i will be able to post a picture tomorrow, fingers crossed, as taken a punt at an auction. Pretty sure its Whitefriars, but if not i like it anyway.
Frustrating not being able to access the catalogues, probably due to my firewall or something, or my ancient pc.... ::)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 08:28:51 PM »
Look forward to some pix Janet.            If you're unable to access the on-line W/Fs catalogue shown in the link, there appear to be a surfeit of Jackson's paperback volume - 'Whitefriars Glass' - available on Abe Books at reasonable prices.            It's obviously not as comprehensive as the 'big book', but is vastly less expensive, and will give most of the information you might need.

Offline Janet

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 03:06:45 PM »
Unfortunately i didn't win the auction... ah well. But here is a photo of the lot. The vases i was trying to identify are the ones on the left in the photo. They were very heavy and were 2 different sizes, approximately 10 inch and 12 inch tall.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »
that's unfortunate - I can see what appears to be a streaky green knobbly - back centre - but unsure of the others.          Winning at auctions depends how much we want something  -  if possible it's better to be there in person  -  to see pieces in the flesh, and to make a final bid if we want something badly enough.             

I don't think you have lost anything of exceptional rarity, and always another day. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand