No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Yellow Cut Glass Vase Unusual Color ??  (Read 924 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Large Yellow Cut Glass Vase Unusual Color ??
« on: November 03, 2019, 05:33:46 PM »
Wondering if anyone could give there two penneth on this huge piece of glass please, Its not a color
that i have come across it reminded me of the vaseline tinge you get on Victorian fancy glassware i am
sure there must be another name for it or just yellow? The decoration is quite basic but effective i would
say. The size is a large 9" x 6" and 3 kg plenty of surface movement wear some nibbling to rim so could
have no age at all clutching at straws really here...If i had to guess would think Bohemian maybe French
Any ideas much welcomed on it thanks :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Large Yellow Cut Glass Vase Unusual Color ??
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »
I suspect this is the colour called citrine or citron. It is fairly typical of Bohemian glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:40:19 PM »
this may well be an example of genuine citrine coloured glass - though for my money I don't rate the cutting as "quite basic but effective" - I'd suggest the design is impressive and far more appealing than much of the boring designs found on modern cut glass. :)

I'm waffling thus just to make the point that much Continental clear glass from the first half of the C20 does have this slightly yellowish tint as a matter of course - as the lead content is probably zero - and the thicker the glass the more noticeable is the tint - so it's always worth considering this as an alternative to the glass being coloured deliberately.      I can never remember whether either Potash or Soda glass might also give this sort of colouring.               
If this one is flicked, does it have a good lead glass ring LEGSY?              Looking at parts of the body, they appear quite clear, though obviously the thickish areas do show yellowish.
Apparently, in times of shortage of manganese, selenium was used as a stop-gap method of decolourizing clear glass  -  the down side is/was that it tends to impart a honey tint.

I'm not suggesting this isn't coloured deliberately, but Continental glass from the area suggested does often have a slightly straw tint, so worth considering.             Just my opinion, but I'm not seeing this as French.          Vases do get moved a lot, but the wear indicated IMHO does indicate not made yesterday. :)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:29:22 PM »
Thank you for the "CITRINE" i googled around and found a Lapada
dealer online who had sold a very similar vase described as a cog wheel
cut rim c1930s cut in the manner of Egermann for Haida although very
similar the cutting looked far superior to mine but would have thought from
the same glass company. On to the question of sound if you watched the recent
antiques roadshow where they did the ring test with the early glasses with Andy Mcconnell
i would say it seemed to ring like the mid age glass not a dull thud but slightly better
so i would have to agree with the first half of the 20th century continental suggestion made earlier
on :) I will have a better look into the color in good light in the morning..
Thank you for you excellent replies really been helpful.
 :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 11:11:09 PM »
It reminds me in style of cutting of a vase I have, which was decided as 1930s Bohemian:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38798.msg214524.html#msg214524

Definitely Citrine and I would think purposefully coloured :)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand