No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: W/Fs lobed vase in clear.  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
W/Fs lobed vase in clear.
« on: November 07, 2019, 05:26:24 PM »
credit for virtually all information is due to Leslie Jackson …………..

such monumental pieces as this one - and usually clear examples - were mostly Scandi inspired in origin, then copied in the U.K., where this particular variation started life c. 1937 with Tom Hill at W/Fs as free blown rectangular shapes - though they look to have used colours for most of the range - unfortunately clear pieces photograph less well than the coloured ones.            For whatever reasons, the basic rectangular shape was revised in the 1940s by James Hogan becoming more organic with lobed feet and rims  -  apparently the gather was pressed into a cruciform dip mould prior to blowing  -  I've read Jackson's description of the process, but still can't quite visualize the what was going on  -  apparently it divided the glass into four sections which is possibly why you see the four indents on the rim - I think :-\               
Assume it's what the factory would have called flint - because it's clear - though the batch was almost certainly soda glass and not lead glass.

Anyway, it's a lump and a half, but think I would have preferred to have found Sea Green or Willow  -   a charity shop find, as seems to be usual with my W/Fs pieces at the moment, and very heavy wear to the base.             Pix not very good unfortunately.

There is a Hill piece in Jackson in clear, but the lady shows only coloured examples of this Hogan revised lobed design, so might this indicate an early date for a clear piece, does anyone think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand