No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chinese Clutha glass?  (Read 1211 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Chinese Clutha glass?
« on: November 18, 2019, 05:09:30 PM »
Hi all,found this piece the other day in a charity shop and thought it maybe a good xmas present.I'm thinking it was inspired by Clutha glass but the colour , base finish etc seem wrong and it has a unpolished Chinese type Pontil.The only thing that gives me a bit of uncertainty is the extreme wear too the base so maybe another firm copying the style ??.I've seen one on eBay hinting at Clutha and that seems odd there's a few of them about aswell,any thoughts!?,thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Chinese Clutha glass?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 05:47:36 PM »
I think it looks a bit more like the sort of new-er-ish glass you find with old-looking galleons etched, but not brilliantly, onto them.
It's not quite fine enough for Clutha and has none of the subtle swirls of colours I would expect to see.
Neither is it the right sort of slightly odd shape. If any of that makes sense!
I think real Clutha would be more delicate and organic looking.
 :) :) :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
think if I had to suggest a comparison with something real, from the past, then this translucent bubbly cheap look would make me think of Walsh's 'Pompeian' - they did a green quite similar to this green, presumably attempting to make a design knock off from an ancient Roman town.             Time was I had a few pieces of Walsh's Pompeian, but they've all gone and I forget now what the pontil area looks like on the Walsh.

As to whether the recipient of your 'Christmas present' will appreciate the gift might depend on whether they know anything about glass ;)
As to Dresser's pieces, it appears that the few pix I can see in the books - plus some text - seem to indicate that Couper's pieces are mostly streaky and perhaps - though I could be wrong - have far fewer bubbles than we might imagine.           Some were also marked.
Would also suggest that this piece looks to be 'too safe a shape' - it lacks that avant-garde off the wall, industrial appearance that Dresser was good at.

Quoting from Arnold Fleming's 'Scottish & Jacobite Glass' - he says of Clutha  ………..   'Clutha' glass in brilliant lustrous effects designed by Dr. Dresser had a gratifying vogue;  the gem-like flashed forms were greatly admired, especially in tints of aventurino , sapphire and amethyst."

Am sure you weren't being serious that this might have been a Dresser design - but just thought this waffle might be useful for the day when you do find a genuine example.          I work along the lines that the real deal is so rare that even if I found what I thought might be an example, it would turn out to be a copy.      I doubt that there are many pieces left in the wild.

As to the origin or age of this piece - no idea  -  I'd suggest very modern and probably not from the U.K., but I've been known to be wildly wrong before.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
Walsh Pompeian would be Uranium glass, would it not? and it doesn't have a roughly ground pontil mark.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 07:59:20 PM »
I don't remember now whether all Walsh green 'Pompeian' glows - it may well do  -  I also forget about the appearance of the pontil scar area on Walsh.  Keith is good at that stuff - am sure he will put us right.            It was simply that the appearance of the op's bowl made me instinctively think Walsh 'Pompeian'  -  given time I might have found something else in the grey matter that would have equalled or surpassed that similarity.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 08:06:08 PM »
Always best to consider everything possible, before eliminating.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
Never seen a piece of Walsh with a pontil mark like that, the colour is quite close though  ;D ;D ( IMHO )

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 08:27:55 PM »
many thanks for the contribution Keith. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 09:45:27 PM »
French maybe?  who was the French company that did the bubble glass?  Blue I thought but maybe this colour.  Ivo always had the name - was it Biot?

It's a nice shape and a good colour and bubble effect. I definitely wouldn't mind receiving it as a xmas present and using it for flowers.  It's a really good shape for displaying a largish bunch of flowers nicely.
 Is there any base wear at all?

mm, at a quick glance there are a couple listed out there as Biot and in green.So perhaps?

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 09:53:13 PM »
stupid question alert - it's not Vasart is it?

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand