No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Burtles & Tate 'Elephant' Posy Holder Reg. 64234  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Burtles & Tate 'Elephant' Posy Holder Reg. 64234
« on: December 03, 2019, 07:07:00 PM »
This now famous design for the elephant 'flower/posy holder' - dated 28th December - appears to have been their last Registered design for the year 1886.           Unfortunately, the original factory photo isn't too clever on detail, but it does appear to match very closely a book example in Raymond Notley's Miller's Guide to Pressed Glass, where he describes the apparent extreme rarity of the rose opalescent version - though all the opal colours seem to be rare.        Presumably no attempt was made to alter the design from the point of view of greater success when pressing.
Notley comments that due to the complexity of the mould, then it's likely there must have been quite a few unsuccessful pressings.    He says the problematic mould was soon abandoned for economic reasons.
In 2000 he quoted a value for the rose opalescent example at £2000 - £3000.

all this is just in case you see one in the charity shop in the coming days. ;)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Burltes & Tate 'Elephant' Posy Holder Reg. 64234
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 09:33:46 PM »
Thanks Paul.......I'm trying to stay away from the CS.......but I am weak and addicted, so you never know 😹
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Burltes & Tate 'Elephant' Posy Holder Reg. 64234
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »
oh, I could never stay away though agree the quality finds are now very scarce, and as for finding one of these in such a place  -  I can't even travel in hope.           I have seen the rose opalescent example in the flesh  -  way back at one of the glass fairs around 2007 - they really are impressive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand