No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass 'Gin Pig' identification - pressed flower motif  (Read 881 times)

Offline smartart

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass, retro & italian
    • new zealand
Glass 'Gin Pig' identification - pressed flower motif
« on: December 11, 2019, 04:55:33 AM »
Hi - I have a pretty cool glass object i believe is a glass gin pig. I would love to know if any knows the maker. I have been researching them and this has a flower motif which may indicate maker?
Any ideas?? Many thanks!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Glass 'Gin Pig' identification - pressed flower motif
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
I have a book illustrating the Peter F. Heering Collection, published by the Royal Scottish Museum. 1975
It contains a photograph of a similar dog Schnapps flask, a frigger made by Holmegaard.
The legs are different, being 4 "normal" ones, it has coloured eyes, a longer snout and the strips along the sides are crimped - but friggers all would be different.
The main construction is the same. Similar enough that I would suggest Holmegaard quite strongly.

The photo in the book does not show the pattern on the prunt at the tip of the tail clearly - but it could be a flower. It is not ruled out.

My book does not give a date for the piece, but the collection covers 1814-1914.
It is called; Danish Glass 1814-1914, the Peter F. Heering Collection
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline smartart

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • art glass, retro & italian
    • new zealand
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 10:43:50 PM »
Thanks Sue for your reply, that would be great if it is Holmegaard. Do you know what size the 'dog' is in that book? Mine is 25 at longest point.
thanks!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 12:43:49 PM »
No. All it says is;
Schnapps flask. Dog with opaque-white eyes with pupils in blue. Characteristic frigger from Holmegaard Glassworks.
It looks about the same size. I have seen these in reality, the proportions are very similar and if the size were too different, those would change. It would be really hard to get the hollow tail in the correct proportions if it were too different.
It's just details such as the eyes, the longer snout and the crimping, and the style of leg that are different - all features which fall within the variations you'd find in friggers.
I'm not up on Scandi glass, or on Schnapps flasks, or on anything old. I just happen to have this rather interesting old book.
I don't know if other companies made these, I'm sure they did.
But I still think, from your photos and the picture in my book that Holmegaard is a strong possibility.
The book is really more an exhibition catalogue. Black and white photos and tiny captions with not much information. Photos of ancient Danish price lists with scribbled hand-written notes on them I don't understand and cannot read.

I have no other books on Scandi glass I could check. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 05:19:43 PM »
This thread might be of interest, a definitive attribution is not always going to be possible:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,61086.0.html

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 05:32:48 PM »
The only Schnapps flask illustrated in the Peter F. Heering Collection book is the Holmegaard one.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand