No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: crackle water jug - Kolo Moser?  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
crackle water jug - Kolo Moser?
« on: December 11, 2019, 06:22:19 PM »
these things had a fair outing some years back, and various names have been linked with them ……  Harrachov, Loetz, Moser and Smrckova - and in 2010 Craig gave this link to Alfredo's site  …   http://sites.google.com/site/loetzandglass/loetz-the-km-pitcher.
Some were finished on the rod (with a pontil depression like this example), some from the top, and some, like this one with a less than good quality rim.

I did have something similar further back still, but that example had the external strap handle, unlike this one which is fully moulded with a thin pipe-hole running down through the handle, and two mould seams  -  one in the area of the handle, and the other on the opposing side, running down from the lip.

Does it remain the case that those with the hole down through the handle were designed by Kolo Moser for Loetz, as discussed in Craig's link -  does anyone know?    This one is 7.5 inches tall (c. 190 mm).      Sorry the pix aren't too good.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: crackle water jug - Kolo Moser?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 09:30:20 PM »
Just adding a link to the original thread

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4919.0.html
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 10:25:19 PM »
thanks, I had seen that one too  -  unfortunately with many of the older posts the original attached pix have long since gone, so often aren't much help without their photos.                        The first example I had, with the applied strap type handle, went out years ago - now wish I'd kept it.
This one has a fair amount of wear under the base, so could be pre 1940, possibly.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 10:42:31 AM »
think I posted a too brief an extract in my first words in which Craig added his Alfredo link, so here is that thread in full ………….       https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34016.msg184040.html#msg184040

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
Paul it would be very helpful if you could photograph it at the same angle as the one in Ricke:

https://sites.google.com/site/loetzandglass/loetz-the-km-pitcher

I think it's lovely - a real fashion/design shift on the earlier 19th C overshot ones with the ice compartments if you like.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 04:42:12 PM »
And pics of how well the handle was finished off inside, pretty please!
I think that is a feature which gives a good indication of quality - cutting a hole in hot glass and getting the ends all matched up and attached to each other is a really difficult thing to do.
And the quality of the handle hole in these jugs varies enormously.
My "mystery" jug looks ok, until you see how badly the seams inside the handle are married up.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 06:18:28 PM »
extra photos not a problem m, but I'm not entirely sure which of those images - in the link -  you want me to copy ……………     there are quite a few there  -  sorry if I'm being a tad dim.           

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »
I think Flying-Free means directly side on, so that the shape of the handle can be seen. Some have a slight bulge (I think that is what is meant by the use of the work oval in describing it) while others have the handle completely in line within the outline of the whole jug.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »
The one that has been identified in the black and white photograph of Ricke in the link I gave.  It's the one on the left.  The same design as your jug. Ricke id's it as Loetz production number 3175 according to the owner of the site if I have read it correctly.  The owner states there were other makers who made similar designs but that design number 3175 was id'd in Ricke, I believe as a Koloman Moser design?

So if you photograph yours in the same angle as that one is it would allow some comparison.  Otherwise it's very hard to see the shape outline - and it appears there were others made in that design that might be more similar in shape to yours perhaps?

So far,  yours has a pontil mark, nicely polished, has a firepolished rim if I see it correctly, and has an integral hollow handle as part of the jug.  The shape looks very similar to the Ricke one, but yours does look from your photograph, as though it tapers significantly narrowly at the bottom.  A photograph at the same angle might help dispel this thought.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 09:00:20 PM »
thanks, o.k. now I know which pose to ask the jug to take  -  first picture, second row, item 3175 on the extreme left  -  and yes, polished pontil depression plus fire polished rim, albeit a tad wavy looking and the hollow down through the handle, which I've no idea how they create.     

thanks to both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand