No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947  (Read 10952 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Jobling designs 1932 - 1947
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2019, 02:44:57 PM »
next one ……….

Registration 822998 dated 30.08.1937  -  salad bowl  -  Jobling catalogue No. 2632.

According to Baker & Crowe this is another item not shown anywhere in the factory catalogues so no idea as to size or colours offered.     The example showing in the museum booklet may possibly be in flint  -  regret I've no idea as to the origin of that image - always possible it might be the same provenance as the pix you see here  -  i.e. the original BoT photos. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2019, 08:41:46 AM »
staying in 1937 …………..

Registration 823704 dated 07.10.1937  -  vase  -  Jobling catalogue No. 2635 and which according to Baker & Crowe is another design not shown in any of the factory catalogues - so possible the authors may have used the  BoT photos you see here for their museum booklet.

I'm unable to add dimensions, but always possible someone else can if they have an example of this design  -  as with Reg. 822997, always possible this one might have been produced in uranium as well as flint. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
and again from 1937 ………

Registration 824209 dated 04.11.1937  -  a dish.                    Apparently this design lacks a factory catalogue No., and is another example which doesn't seem to appear in any of the sales catalogues.

Picture No. 3 here looks to be possibly an example in ceramic?  -  it's very opaque looking, but this might just be a silly suggestion on my part.        All thoughts welcome especially, and obviously, if you have an example to show.              I've no idea of size.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
and here is the final Jobling design for 1937 :-

Registration 824210 dated 04.11.1937  -  salad bowl  -  factory catalogue No. 2632  -  regret unable to add any information about size or available colours.          Looking at the image in the museum booklet, I'd hazard a guess that the authors have again used the Board of Trade photo  -  which is the same picture you see here.
Bands of concentric hoops, semi-circles in one form or another are a recurring theme in Jobling's designs, though more commonly toward the end of their output  -  geometry in many guises was the big thing with art deco  -  spider web bowls, jazz bowls - there's hardly a design that doesn't include angled spaces bordered by straight lines or flared columns.                The factory also borrowed freely from the Continental spirit of deco, particularly Lalique's pressed designs with images of floral and bird motifs and the nue - so almost back to art nouveau - as in the last but one Registration, next up.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2019, 07:13:15 PM »
The final two Registered designs, one each from '46 and '47, are more typical of what we think of as Continental opalescent art deco - the motifs become recognizable appealing artistic images  -  neither of these final two designs has a factory catalogue No., and I'm unaware of details of colours and sizes.

Unfortunately, when I was last at Kew I made a mistake with the ordering of archives, and failed to photograph the final Registered design No. 851364, which is the 'iris lighting bowl', so there will be a delay of some days before I return for those details.

Registration 849494 dated 03.12.1946  -  mermaid lighting bowl.            It's only when you see the side profile of the bowl that the extent of the relief aspect of the design can be seen - it's surprising to see what you can rest a bowl on.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2019, 03:11:50 PM »
According to the Baker & Crowe list, Registration 851364 was the final design from Jobling that the factory recorded with the Board of Trade.             As mentioned, there isn't a factory catalogue No. ……………   unfortunately, I omitted to mention that these final two designs - the mermaid lighting bowl and this iris lighting bowl  -  for whatever reason  -  had their BoT design protection extended for an additional period of five years.           Thus - protection for 849494 which was Registered originally on 03.12.1946 expired finally on 03.12.1956  …………...… and 851364 first Registered on 12.06.1947 lost its protection on 12.06.1957  -  possibly these were both successful designs and the company thought they warranted protection for longer, but that's just speculation.

In the course of searching TNA records for Jobling Registered designs, I wasn't aware of seeing any of the factory's designs which the authors list as being without Registered status - so those seventeen items remain unknown in the Kew archives, for whatever reason  -  they may well never have been there in the first place.

pix attached of Reg. 851364  -  again, the extent of the design, in relief, is quite substantial.            Apologies for the glare, but think we'd all agree this is a beautiful design.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2019, 05:46:29 AM »
The Iris lighting bowl is very similar to Verlys catalogue no. 1097: coupe 'Les Orchidees' (shown in the 1934 catalogue -- p.13 here: https://glas-musterbuch.de/Verlys-1934.336.0.html). It's not an exact copy as there are small differences in detail, but overall they are suspiciously alike...

The Verlys

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand