No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Thoughts on this 19th Century wine glass?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Thoughts on this 19th Century wine glass?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 09:48:17 AM »
the suggested date period of 1850s to 1890s may well be correct, but as we discussed earlier in this thread, the particular cutting styles on this glass don't in themselves tell us when this piece was made  ………    it's the eternal problem whereby C19 and C20 workers reproduced earlier styles of cutting - sometimes much earlier.
I get the impression that if you take a loupe to most glass that's heavily cut you will find remnants of grinding somewhere within the mitres  -  hopefully not too much, but it may be impossible to remove all evidence without excessive detriment to the appearance of the cutting.

Also, just to add …………..    I'm not seeing any strawberry cutting/strawberry diamonds on this glass.             
The graduated diamonds below the midriff of this bowl are simply 'relief diamonds, which apparently date, commercially, from c. 1780s.            Sadly the older the piece of glass then generally the more their points suffer from damage, and obviously, these diamonds aren't really in relief to the surface of the glass  -  it's just an optical illusion.
Strawberry diamonds start c. 1800, and are additional decoration on the flat table tops of diamonds that are cut  -   similarly to relief diamonds, except that the four mitre cuts - at right angles to each other - are placed such that the diamond is produced with a flat top and not a point.
It's on this flat top of the diamond that a further (usually sixteen) shallow mitres are cut 'criss-cross' fashion, to produce a series of fine diamonds  -  doubtless a skilled job.

Scale cutting was used much on earlier drinking glasses to decorate their stems - probably starts c. 1730-1740  -  always looks good  -  and as mentioned earlier, Walsh used this design in the C20.

Try G. Bernard Hughes book 'English Glass For The Collector 1660 - 1860'  - mine of information on mostly clear cut glass, of all sorts, shapes and sizes of table glass  -  it's where it get most of my information from ;)            There are copies currently on Abe Books for less than a fiver  -  you couldn't get a better bargain than that!!

Anyway, I'm still no wiser as to the date of the glass shown here - it might even be early C20

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2020, 10:49:11 AM »
Ah, I was told it was Strawberry cut. Thanks for the explanation Paul. I shall check the book out.

I have a completely open mind as to the age of this glass. I haven't found any drinking glasses remotely similar from any era either online or in the books I have access to. The only things I've seen where the cutting is remotely comparable is a few pieces of tableware listed as around 1820, and a couple of rummers listed 1850 but in the regency style. I'd like to get my hands on some of the reproduction early 1900s Georgian designs mentioned in the fakes and repros section of Hadjamach to see how it compares to those.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 10:44:23 PM »
I've spent several months on this glass now, and in the meantime picked up a few other early 19th century glasses which i think give me the insight I needed to clarify what this glass is. I'm going to stick my neck out and say I believe it to be around 1830ish and a regency to Victorian transitional piece. The foot, stem cutting and bowl joint are all consistent with regency period glasses I own. The bowl shape is in late Georgian and early Victorian patterns in my reference books, and are also consistent with late Georgian/early Victorian glasses I own.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand