No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green glass posy with swirls, bubbles, and surface texture - Nazeing? Scottish?  (Read 811 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Approx. 5.5" in diameter, not perfectly round.  Bubbles have halos around them, so my first thought was Nazeing.  However, most of the top surface is pitted, which made me think of descriptions of Monart Pumice pieces (although I've never handled one).  I did wonder if it had some sort of glass sickness, but on the underside the pitting is in distinctive swirls, so I ruled that out.

Partially ground snapped pontil, with some marks from the grinding, and a ring of wear marks.

Thanks for looking
Cat

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
more pics
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
If you look in the top left of the first photo, there does seem to be pieces in a very similar shape to your piece (they seem to be enlarged frogs), obviously not the same colour though. It's difficult to tell from the photos the dimensions, but it might give you an avenue to explore.

https://www.ysartglass.com/Otherglass/Nazeing/NazeingG06.htm

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
It's a Nazeing shape. I am a bit very concerned about the surface though. It's not Monart Pumice, I have seen and handled that. My brother has a piece and I was with him when we tracked it down.
In the second set of pics, there is a close up and I'm positive i can see a kind of tiny grid pattern with straight lines that look rather like the true crizzled sickness of glass. :'(
But I haven't seen sick crizzled Nazeing before, and it's something I would expect more on glass a lot older than Nazeing.
I'm not at all sure about the ground rim, or the striations surrounding the pontil scar.
I don't expect either of those on Nazeing.

However, the matter of "Scottish glass" getting applied to Nazeing is dodgy sellers attempting to create an Ysart connection. There is no "Scottish Glass" really like this.
It's just another one of those lies that has emerged via a mass of dishonest advertising.

??? ??? ???
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand