No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stourbridge Intaglio Poppy vase  (Read 799 times)

Offline JOK

• Members
Stourbridge Intaglio Poppy vase
« on: January 16, 2020, 10:19:47 AM »
I found this vase recently. I would guess from the wear to the base it is 1930s or so. It is really well cut, with each poppy head etched in a different phase. The feathering of the poppy leaves (tiny cuts on the edge of the main leaf stands) is also quite distinctive and really well executed in my opinion. Also the base cutting is more stylised (not just star cut). Any ideas on factory or cutter?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Stourbridge Intaglio Poppy vase
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »
At first glance it could be Webb, no mark on the base? They can be quite faint. Also look amongst the pattern there could be a tiny engravers signature next to a leaf or suchlike.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 01:38:00 PM »
My opinion on age would be to suggest not as old as 1930s.          Always dangerous to generalize, but looking at cut glass styles from between the wars, there appears to have been more of a lean toward geometric cutting - plain deep mitres and designs created from curved mitres etc., rather than a mixture of cutting and wheel engraving  -  exceptions, for example, might be Murray for S. & W.
I could be wrong but would suggest the matt poppy details are likely to be wheel engraved rather than the etching you suggest (which is a wet process).
As John suggests, Webb Corbett (David Smith), Stuart (John Luxton), Thomas Webb (David Hammond) were major designers who were active during the 1950 - 1960 period, and who produced stunning work incorporating both cutting and wheel engraving  -  often using flower motifs  -  and when you consider that era is now c. seventy years old, then some reasonable wear is to be expected.

I've looked in my couple of books devoted to cut glass, but couldn't see this design  -  usual problem for collectors of cut material is the lack of a decent book.

Fingers crossed someone will recognize this one.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »
Can we have some measurements please?
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline JOK

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »
It's 18.5cm high and 17cm diameter at the top and the foot is 11cm diameter

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »
Have you followed John's suggestion of searching very carefully for a tiny signature hidden amongst the cutting?  :)
It's the first thing I'd do with something like this, because I have found tiny writing saying "Jack Lloyd" in the past, on something that looked "a bit good".  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand