No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Corbett vase for dating.  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Webb Corbett vase for dating.
« on: January 17, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »
This backstamp is shown in most books that mention W.C. as being used c. 1930 - 47.     Unfortunately, I get the feeling when it comes to details of such marks most authors simply copy existing information  -  this quoted period may be reliable, though unsure of its origin.        Does anyone have any thoughts on these dates  -  I'm tempted to think it might have extended for longer  -  perhaps into the 1950s.

The decoration of a continuous double row of mitres in the form of leaves or whatever, was certainly used a few times on the factory's designs, it might be what is referred to as stylized wisteria.                Irene Stevens used something very similar, and before her Freda Coleborn did some similar floral patterns with flutes, which is what the upright mitre cuts look to be on this one  -  it looks an unusual design appearance compared to many other designs on cut glass from c. mid C20 - perhaps a tad deco ish.              Presumably, in view of the shape, this was mould blown -  the very top of the rim has been ground/polished - although slightly irregular in finish  -  likewise there is a bevel on the outside shoulder of the rim.

A largish shallow pontil depression and with good wear on the base  -  height is c. 7.75 inches (195 mm) - I'm thinking c. 1950s

Needless to say I can't find this design anywhere despite trawling my every source for cut glass, and I get a sinking feeling that this one will remain anonymous, though would be great if someone does recognize the design.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
Re: Webb Corbett vase for dating.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 08:39:17 PM »
Paul, do you have the small softback book ;Art deco to post modernism, it was published to accompany an exhibition curated by Nigel Benson and Jeanette Hayhurst.
the book contains about 25 photos of Webb Corbett designs. I could not see your example but a few things that were similar.
This may not be much help but it might get Nigel on to the forum to give his opinion.
Tim

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 09:18:30 PM »
thanks Tim  -  you're right, it isn't of any help ;) ;D  -  yes, I do have Jeanette and Nigel's little booklet, and I looked through the W.C. section six times  -  and like you I'm fairly certain this design isn't there, although have to say that some of the pix could have done with better contrast and larger format  -  some are very indistinct and small that it's nigh on impossible to see detail.
I also have all of the Studio 'Year Books of Decorative Art' from 1920 to 1956  -  and it doesn't appear there either, though suppose I might have missed it.

This just struck me as an odd shape, compared to standard type vases where mostly the cross-section is circular in varying sizes.

Does Nigel still look in?  -  I hadn't been aware of seeing his words for a long time, but then I was absent for a while too.       Once we were quite good friends  -  he came to my house for some chats on glass (and coffee), but we've lost touch, probably because he thought I wasn't keen enough ;D

We are so desperate for a really good book on cut glass  -  will it ever come I wonder.

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:21:35 PM »
Definitely a shame we lost touch Paul  ??? Always knew that you took this glass thing seriously too  ;) :)

I don't know the designer of this piece I'm afraid. Without references I have always looked for similarities with other pieces and given the piece in question an honorary attribution, which I know might be replaced at a later date.

I wouldn't sell it with that attribution, but point out my thoughts to the buyer if it got to that stage. Usually these question pieces stay on the shelf, or in a crate waiting for a definate attribution before I'm prepared to sell them.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 02:06:08 PM »
thanks Nigel  -  I still have this one, which is perhaps unusual since a lot of items that defy provenance/designer attribution often head back to the charity shop after a month or two.    It's still with me I think because of its unusual cutting and shape - perhaps idiosyncratic is the word and there's no denying I like unusual things - could be that it has a late art deco appearance.      Of all the glass I've handled over the years, I always have a soft spot for cut glass which looks as though it originated from between the wars, though I'm also a big fan of art nouveau.         If some day you do locate a specific attribution etc., for this one, do let me know.      thanks again.

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 10:47:34 PM »
Will do Paul  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum