No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: James Derbyshire rummer for show.  (Read 1833 times)

Offline keith

• Members
James Derbyshire rummer for show.
« on: January 30, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »
5.5 inches tall with the kite registration mark in the bowl ( impossible to photograph ! ) dated to1865, 3 part mould, lots of wear  ;D ;D

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: James Derbyshire rummer for show.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 08:17:56 PM »
Looks like James Derbyshire's RD 198277, registered on 16 June 1866 - Parcel 4.

Shown in the second and third photos down at
https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/derbyshire-brothers-designs-by-date/derbyshire-brothers-1866-1869

Neil Harris comments:
"This is something of an oddity as the registration document shows only one design, as seen in Rob's photo below [the topmost photo in this case]. However there is a second teardrop pattern, seen in the second pic, which also bears the same registration lozenge. Furthermore this second pattern has been seen with a nonsense lozenge of - clockwise from top - 8,2,4,1 (or I)."

I attach photos of the design representation along with the appropriate 'correct' registry date lozenge.

Fred.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 08:38:49 PM »
Well I was nearly there, thanks Fred  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 11:38:33 PM »
wot  -  so Keef's got a duff 'n then, eh ;D

I've been straining the peepers looking at Ray Slack's example in his book, and it's possible he also is showing the same 'wrong' design which he has attributed to this Derbyshire Reg. 198277, but difficult to be absolutely sure.                What do others think - certainly Slack's bowl shape looks different to both the original factory drawing and Rob's photo (both of which appear similar in profile), but more akin to Keith's bowl - a smaller, less elongated bowl.

How Slack has made this error is unclear, but he also may have been unable to read the lozenge details and possibly copied the error from another incorrect source.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 11:19:13 AM »
I don't think that Keith's goblet is duff - to me it looks similar to that shown second-from-the left on page 116 of Slack, and the "teardrop'-shaped bowl referred to by Neil.

For comparison, clarity (hopefully), and a permanent reference here, I attach some photos of a goblet with a bowl shape and pattern similar to that in the top photo in Neil's site and which more closely corresponds to the design representation but still had the date registry lozenge  for RD 198277 for 16 June 1866 - Parcel 4.

Fred.

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »
This one has popped up a couple of times before. Now that I own both of them I feel I understand it better. This is the most common Derbyshire drinking glass to be found today - in either variation - and in fact I would say it's the most common to appear from the Manchester factories, even though Percival Vickers was over twice the size of James Derbyshire and heavily into tumblers and goblets in this period. So we can say it was a very successful design.

The one shown in the design document is a very pleasant piece of glass to hold, tactile and practical, as the loops form natural finger holds. I have a dozen or so Manchester glasses, and if I feel like a beer etc in an old glass I will invariably pick this one. What I suspect happened is that Derbyshire had a hit with this design, and so he produced the second one seen in Keith's pic to capitalise, which repeats the finger hold aspect. Maybe he wasn't sure if he could get away with using the same design number, and for a period stamped this 8,4,2,1 lozenge to stop others copying it. Then I guess he received advice that he was entitled to use the same lozenge as in the registration doc, and switched back to the proper lozenge.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 02:38:39 PM »
I have a very similar beast to Keith's, the only difference is the shape under the big loop is not an oval, but another long, parallel, flat loop shape, which extends down to a flat base. No lozenge.
It's been in my family longer than I have. It's like this. 6" tall.
https://legacyantiques.co.uk/victorian-triple-moulded-goblet-shaped-rummer-3947.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 04:12:24 PM »
quote from Fred  ........................…  "I don't think that Keith's goblet is duff - to me it looks similar to that shown second-from-the left on page 116 of Slack, and the "teardrop'-shaped bowl referred to by Neil."

Oh Fred, I'm mortified that you should think I was being serious  -  I hope Keith knew I was only joking  -  and yes, the similarity of Keith's glass with the photo image shown in Ray Slack's book was the exact point I was making  -  in other words both Keith's and Ray's examples differ substantially from the original factory drawing for 198277, currently held at The National Archives, and shown above.       

Slack was usually very thorough and it's unlike him to make this sort of error  -  perhaps it's telling that whilst he provided the correct Registration date in the caption to his photo, he omitted the Rd. No. - perhaps he too was unable to interpret the lozenge, but knew enough to know it was a Derbyshire design, and may even have arrived at No. 198277 by a process of elimination.       
The 'wrong design' has the appearance of a cup shaped rummer bowl, whilst the correct Registered design, being elongated, might better be described as an ovoid rummer bowl  -  these shapes are discussed, with images, in Tim Mills' marvellous book 'Rummers - A Social History Told in Glass'  -  2013 - and one of the best glass books to have been published in recent years.

In the Kew Register, 198277 is described as a goblet  -  doubtless they were simply following the factory information since the word goblet is written on the original drawing, showing above.           Probably true that most if not all of the 'pressed' shapes for rummers and goblets, produced in the second half of the C19, were based on designs of blown/hand made drinking glasses from fifty to one hundred years earlier.
At the time of Registration of these Derbyshire designs - the 1860s - 1870s - the heyday of rummers was over, and this may have caused Victorian designers from that period to simply say goblet - perhaps they imagined the word rummer to sound too rustic and dated.         
That said, Tim Mills does include two press-moulded rummers in his book  -  one which he dates to c. 1845, with pressed bowl but traditionally made stem and foot  ………..   and another later example he dates to c. 1880 which is a fully press-mould made glass.               The latter example has a moulded pattern that appears vaguely familiar, but since Tim doesn't comment at all on the presence or otherwise of lozenges, then I'm assuming it isn't a Registered design, but again I could be wrong.

I've had both designs before, though now have neither, and I forget whether I ever used them for drinking.              Neil's comment about "a very pleasant piece of glass to hold, tactile and practical, as the loops form natural finger holds.", might equally be said of the tall thumb print ales that were common in the second half of the C19, both cut and moulded examples  -  again, the lenses line up with finger-tips and make for a comfortable grip.     Personally, I would prefer the tall ale glass, mostly since they hold more booze I'm sure, than these goblets.               
All this talk of booze is irritating - but at least there is only a few more hours to go before my 'dry January' comes to an end. ;D 

Charming as Neil's suspicions are - as to the possible reasons for Derbyshire running two separate designs simultaneously, think it unlikely that we'll ever know why this situation existed. 
Manufacturers of some well known Registered pressed designs/suites, were more interested in protecting a decorative pattern than a shape - and there are Registrations for decoration only where the same pattern is seen on many separate shapes.         Don't know if I can follow Neil's explanation, here, for the existence of two different designs - plus quite different bowl shapes, and of course we don't know which of them came first, or if they were simultaneous.
Suffice to say that these two separate designs have caused annoyance and confusion over the years - even to leading someone of Ray Slack's expertise into error.

Sorry this is long winded - just read the top bit if you want ;) ;)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 08:53:10 PM »
Sue, there was one in the shop next to this one that was very  much Like yours, I couldn't decide which one to get so went for the cheapest  ;D ;D
Paul, you should never joke about glass, I never do ! or tell stories, something else I never do !  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 10:01:30 PM »
 ;D ;D           Well, you know what they say Keith  -  when in doubt buy both ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand