No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cobalt Bowl with swirly markings inside  (Read 670 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Cobalt Bowl with swirly markings inside
« on: February 08, 2020, 07:39:18 PM »
I used this bowl as the example in a 2006 thread (link below for reference), which was discussing the different names for blue glass – Bristol, Cobalt, Irish – and trying to come up with a way of differentiating between them. 

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6818.msg58061.html#msg58061

The bowl itself was not really discussed and, as it has just appeared out of one of the boxes, I thought I’d see if anyone could help identify it.

Approx 10.75cm body diameter, 7cm rim diameter, 6cm high, 5.5cm base diameter, weighs 408g.  Foot rim 4mm wide (with some nice wear marks) around a slightly concave base, but no obvious polished pontil mark.

The glass is a lovely, deep, purple-blue.  The rim curves very slightly over/under.  Inside the bowl, the base has some distinctive swirls over a slightly matt finish.

The closest piece I have had (may still have in a box somewhere) was a cobalt thumbprint bowl by Elsa Peretti.

All ideas welcomed,
thank you. 
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Cobalt Bowl with swirly markings inside
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »
All about the base - three attempts....the middle one is probably closest to what the naked eye would see.  The other two appear to reveal a beautifully polished pontil mark, but I think it's just the light!
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 08:42:18 PM »
My family had a glorious little red bowl just like that - it had a Davidson's paper label on it.
Davidson's Crystal, I think, not glass.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 09:17:20 PM »
so what are we saying cat  -  that the depression under the base is mould formed, rather than ground and polished  -  I thought it looked moulded, but could be wrong.
Those swirly marks remind me of how glass sickness sometimes affects the surface of glass  -  might this one have been acid treated do you think?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand