No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: centerpiece with dolphins... french or bohemian?  (Read 3460 times)

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass in all forms ages
    • Germany
centerpiece with dolphins... french or bohemian?
« on: February 16, 2020, 03:49:02 PM »
I did it, I couldnīt stand it and bought a quite damaged piece, but I love it.

donīt know why, but I think it is french, first I thought Baccara, but the Baccara dolphins donīt fit.

the dolphins are pressed glass, the bowl and the food are i think cut glass. The rim it cutted for sure.

When I asked you some weeks ago if it is worth it, somebody mentioned that it might be a marriage, if this is I think a wonderful marriage. The damage of this piece are the connections from fish to bowl, they are not original and during the shipping one of the glass connections to the bowl broke.

anybody around who has an idea how old and maker?

Monika

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Re: centerpiece with dolphins... frensh or bohemian?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 11:44:01 AM »
Stumbled across this while searching for something else, these dolphins look quite old 1840-80 both Richardsons ( Hajdamach book on English glass)and Molineaux and Webb made them amongst many others. Also French and Bohemian and The USA but I think these are early English ones, a few months back there were a couple of just dolphins on eBay not attached to anything. So I think this is a nice marriage. The were used for all sorts of supports for candelabras, candle holders, comport holders etc.
Cheers

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:33:47 PM »
Perhaps investigate Harrach - Neuwelt.

I'll try and find the original Pressglas Korrespondenz link for you but here's a quick link.
See seite 3 von 6 and bottom right.

https://www.yumpu.com/de/document/read/25481638/mit-geringeltem-schwanz-zwei-opak-blaue-vasen-mit-weintrauben

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 10:07:43 AM »
Im so happy
I didnīt expect any new posts since such a long time. And Flying free, I own the pressglas Korrespondenz from the beginning on, was sure that i already saw the dolphins once before, but I couldnīt find them. It is a awfull lot of informations in there, you Need a lot of time to go through everything.

on side 2 bottom left, Iīm pretty sure that that should be my bowl ,but only single dolphin.

I have to ad some better brighter pics :-[ >:(

Thank You both for a new result i can build on
Monika

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 11:20:38 AM »
Yes, seite 2 left hand bottom but it's probably showing a smaller version and that's why only one dolphin :)

So Fruit bowl with Dolphin, Harrach, 1840-1841
Illustration also shown in From Neuwelt to the Whole World.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: centerpiece with dolphins... frensh or bohemian? ID = Harrach
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 08:55:04 PM »
Kev, sorry I was just adding the information from that line drawing so it was saved on here  :-[

I'm pretty sure it's Neuwelt but could we put a question mark next to it for now please ?  Perhaps until someone can confirm a link to the cut design on the bowls?  I couldn't see an absolute match to the cutting in the book but I was rushing a little.  I'll try and take a look again later.

Just to add, in
 the book it says:

Source - From Neuwelt to the Whole World, Jan Mergl 2012 pp113

'At the beginning of the 1840s the Neuwelt glassworks introduced a completely new design into production: bowls with a foot in the form of a dolphin that were made by hot moulding (so called 'free hand'), or pressing, and were then refined by cutting, painting (in gold) and engraving.  One of the first invoice records (including a schematic drawing) of these objects comes from 1840 and describes '2 Chrystall Fruchtschalen mit mattirten Saufisch auf Sokl( Note No136 - Saufisch is the archaic German word for Dolphin)' - ' 2 bowls in crystal glass with a matte dolphin on the base'.  This type of artefact continued to be manufactured by the factory long after the mid-nineteenth century (Note 137 - see Zelasko 2005, cat. no. 19-20)

Mod: Title reset to exclude ID. Thread moved back to Glass.

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 09:27:44 PM »
Easy to reply.... wow...thank you.
Better than I ever expected :D :D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 09:30:17 PM »
Please could you take a clear photograph against a white background and one perhaps against a dark background - so we can see the profile shape of the piece and the cutting and colour of the glass a bit more clearly?

Thank you!  :D

Offline BlueOctopus

• Members
    • Germany
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
Yes I will :-* :-*

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: centerpiece with dolphins... french or bohemian?
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 01:30:13 PM »
Just curious to know, does the bowl sit on the stand properly without the dolphins in place?

Or/And does it sit properly with the dolphins (apart from the damage)?

I've checked the book and as far as I can see  the pictures are of one dolphin only. 

There is some more information here in another Pressglass-Korrespondenz but I think it's dated 2005 so there may be more information out now after the Harrach From Neuwelt to the Whole World book (see seite 92 right hand top bowl and dolphin).  There are probably more but I'll need to search a bit later and add them:
https://pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2005-3w-kilian-bacc-delphin.pdf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand