No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase signed G.S.F. - American?  (Read 7563 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Vase signed G.S.F. - American?
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2016, 03:09:27 PM »
we seem to be getting our knickers in a twist as to which surface pattern we're speaking about - and should try and keep to the corresponding description, and shown in the National Archive photographs, and Jenny Thompson's words.

The earlier of the two 39086 is the hammered pattern - as showing on Anton's vase -  the later design No. 41925 is the scale (fishscale) pattern.

These can be seen reasonably clearly in the Kew photos posted earlier - I think :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2016, 04:43:09 PM »
Anton, sorry about this, but it seems that the pics of the vase you have posted have been cropped directly from the eBay images. Is that right?

If you have permission from the copyright holder (presumably the seller) to use their pics then please confirm. Otherwise we will have to remove the images (as per Board guidelines on use of other people's images) and you will need to take your own photos.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2016, 07:26:26 PM »
I'm with either an I or an S and leaning mostly towards an s having looked extensively through scripts for long periods recently and a few months ago.

I think Alisha mentioned that it might be Acid Cut back.  I think it might be possible that a pattern was put on the vase and then acid cut back and that might explain why the rim is patterned.
It might also be that the rims were supposed to have a metal rim on top hence it not mattering whether they had the pattern continuation or not.
Is the rim firepolished on this one Anton?
And I forgot to check - does the base have a large polished pontil mark?

Paul, thanks for adding the comments on the vase I linked to from the States.  I didn't bother reading the blurb but only added it because it seemed to have pics of all the 'details' we've been discussing.

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
I did wonder about some sort of resist being applied - the pattern being incised through that  -  and then given an acid dip........   but clueless really, just guessing.               Perhaps now that Anton has the piece in his hands he can make a better judgement.

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2016, 12:32:19 PM »
Sorry I forgot to say about the pictures I posted. Nine Caroline Antiques say "we would be happy to have you use them".
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2016, 06:27:16 PM »
Thanks Anton. I will add the permissions comment to the posts with the pics.
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »
coming back to my Reply No. 33  -  just thought I should mention that to date I've not heard from Will Farmer at Fieldings, and this one may remain anonymous for the time being.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2021, 09:47:53 PM »
page 308 Wittman & Roth advertisement

The Pottery and Glass trades Journal September 1879

Advert mentions ' original importers of the iridescent glass'

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Pottery_Glass_Trades_Journal/hyUGAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=longport+glass+works&pg=RA1-PA209&printsec=frontcover

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand