No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Drinking glass, early 20th or late 19th ?  (Read 776 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Drinking glass, early 20th or late 19th ?
« on: February 18, 2020, 02:59:20 PM »
5.25 inches tall, vertical ribs. large very shallow pontil mark and tools marks to the foot and bowl, no nice ring quite a dull sound and heavy. What looks like a thumb print to the base is in the glass  ::) ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Drinking glass, early 20th or late 19th ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »
Hi Keith

Last week I nearly posted a picture of this glass which is similar in design.
Height 6.5" and does not ring either. Maybe there related.

Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:06:47 PM »
They are aren't they, still learning about drinking glasses, hopefully someone will point us in the right direction  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »
both glasses are remarkable insofar as they lack features that usually help to provide some indication of history etc.
Both stems are about as unhelpful as could be imagined - shallow depressions under the foot, where the scar was removed, are very common for much of the C19 and C20 and optical moulding and tool marks have too long a history that equally lack indication of any particular period.
I could be wrong, but the depression I think I'm seeing isn't what I'd call 'large'  -  large in the sense of an early C19 Georgian depression, which often might occupy two thirds or more of the underside of the foot  -  this one looks 'non-large' ;)

The assumption might be that the lack of a good ring means not lead glass which suggests not high quality, and would be interested as to why the suggestion of the period indicated in the subject heading :)

I don't see any mention of wear  -  regret I've no idea as to origin or date, other than to suggest, vaguely, middle third C20  -  but am happy to be proven wrong, as always.
Sorry this is unhelpful  -  judging by the absence of replies I'm afraid you may struggle to nail these down. :-\

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
Can't speak for Roy's but the pontil. although shallow is around 2 thirds of the foot, there is a very thin line of wear all around the edge of the foot, the stem is very plain but the weight makes me think it's not too recent but as I said drinking glasses are new to me  ::) ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 04:45:58 PM »
go on - bet you say that to all the publicans ;D ;D

must be the picture coming across on the screen Keith  -  the depression looked small to me, so guess I'm not seeing it all.       
Wish these two had something in their design/appearance that might help to connect them to some particular period -  some wheel engraving, stem/knop design that might help, or particular feature of the feet.              It's such hallmarks that guide, usually, when trying to say to which era a glass belongs, although obviously it's not a foolproof method, and pieces like these seem to defy being pigeonholed.              Only my opinion of course, but I don't see these as being C19.
Such a pity that drinking glasses appear to have such a minority following here.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 05:59:03 PM »
Shame there are no books on 19th century drinking glasses, I'd go with late 19th maybe early 20th for both  ;D

Offline Laird

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 08:04:36 AM »
There are few clues here. The stem is without a flourish. To my eye, the design looks utilitarian, and there aren't any characteristics that would suggest to me Victorian. My 'best guess' would be first half of 20th century, but it's a shot in the dark - I could be very mistaken. To help with attributing dates to decanters and drinking glasses I am finding The Hallmarks of Antique Glass (Wilkinson) useful.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand