No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bohemian? amber flashed and cut to clear ?vase - info please.  (Read 793 times)

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
I bought this vase? in a charity shop yestersday for very little money.  I'm well outside my comfort zone with this type of glass but, heyho, every day a school day.

It is of amber flashed glass  cut to clear with a design of vines and grapes. The vine leaves appear to have been acid etched in outline initially then details of the veins etc. cut with a copper wheel, whereas the vine stems, tendrils, grapes and circular decorative cuts look simply to have been cut with the copper wheel without any initial etching. 140mm high, with a top rim external diameter of 165mm and a foot rim diameter of 85mm. The bowl rim is rounded and folded over a bit like a mushroom, and appears to have been fire polished rather that ground. The base has been ground and polished flat. No identifying marks.

A brief consultation with Professor Google has left me with impression that this is a piece of Bohemian flashed crystal, dated around 1880-1900. Is this correct?

Was this type of glassware generic or are there any indicators as to a likely manufacturer?

Most other pieces with this style or decoration seem to be either goblets or vases of classical design, but I can't find anything with this substantial rolled rim. Would an urn be a better description, or is there a specific term for a piece with the same shape as mine?

I had imagined that this type of vine and grape decoration indicated an association with wine at some stage (hence the goblets or wine glasses), but how would you use this piece for anything associated with wine?

Any information gratefully received.

Fred.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Bohemian? amber flashed and cut to clear ?vase - info please.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
I'm stumped completely Fred, and the shape defies my imagination as to use, and likely not an easy piece to make.            You may be correct regarding some etching work, but my thoughts for what they're worth is that all the decoration is wheel engraved.

I've done a little trawling as to finding something similar in shape, but drawing a blank, so hope someone is able to provide the answer.    On face value it does have a 'Bohemian' second half C19 appearance when flashing was popular, but beyond that regret am unable to help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 07:54:55 AM »
Hi,
Could look in the direction of “John Walsh” And fruiting vine pattern maybe?
Cheers Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:25:55 AM »
good shout Mike, but I'd suggest not on this occasion.             If you look in the Walsh book, or at a piece of this pattern should you have one, there is one constant feature that to the best of my knowledge, appears on all Walsh examples of 'Fruiting Vine' pattern.
If you look at the vine leaves you will see that each is divided into three lobes.              The centre of every lobe of Walsh Fruiting Vine leaf is worked with the copper wheel until it appears clear, in contrast to the rest of the leaf which remains matt, but the centre part always appears clear  -  I'm not aware of any other grape and vine pattern that has this clear centre appearance to the leaves.                       I think also that the Walsh pattern tends to show the grapes hanging in bunches.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
Hi Paul
Ok fairpoint, here is a Walsh one for reference.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 10:35:12 AM »
nice glass Mike  -  I've had a few in the past  -  like the scale cutting too.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 11:16:33 AM »
Here are some photos of the engraving on my amber vase for comparison.

Fred.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 10:56:47 PM »
I love this shape but can't add anything worthwhile.

It reminds me of Bohemian 1930s ( I think ) vases- I have one enamelled.  The body and foot a similar shape to yours but no turned over rim.

The rim reminds me of those seen on pairs of 'vases' that I think if I recall correctly were identified by Sue and Christine as being for holding pineapples.

I wonder if it's also possible yours was perhaps a bowl for grapes?

m

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 09:32:36 AM »
Thank you Paul, Mike and m for your input.

Whatever its attribution, I liked it when I saw it, I could afford it, so I bought it - now I will enjoy it for what it is.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand