No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Darlington variant??  (Read 1029 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Stuart Darlington variant??
« on: March 02, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »
I thought I'd identified these glasses as Stuart Crystal, Darlington pattern, but now I'm not sure.  They are unmarked, and marked versions appear to have some differences :

5 flowers versus 3
8 cuts to the foot versus 6
No dots around the point where the stems intersect versus 4

Replacements.com show both variants, although their sketch of the pattern has 5 flowers and does not have the 4 dots.

https://www.replacements.com/webquote/studarl.htm?query=stuart%20darlington

Would Stuart have made variants of the same pattern?

Thanks
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Stuart Darlington variant??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 02:02:05 PM »
I don't know the age of these, which might have some bearing on your query. :)

I do know that the forms of cutting can change over the years within companies - Edinburgh certainly. I've been paying attention to the quality of cutting on their flagship Thistle decor, and it is not nearly the same quality now as it used to be. There is significant loss of detail, not nearly so much work put into each piece. Profit deemed more important than quality, again.

Cuts sometimes have to be adjusted to fit the vessel they're on better too.
All together, I wouldn't rule them out as being right. If the quality is there, a few details difference should not neccessarily indicate anything odd.

I am more concerned about the number of cuts in the base than I am about 3 vs 5 flowery bits. The number of base cuts do tend to be consistent in Edinburgh. I don't know about Stuart.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »
Sue  -  am I right in thinking that 'Edinburgh' cut glass has been made and cut in Czechoslovakia for several years now  -  and doubtless farmed out for the sake of cheapness??         Some of the E. & L. cut pieces form the earlier years was stunning.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 03:08:36 PM »
Some has been outsourced yes, but not the "standard classics" such as the Thistle and Star of Edinburgh patterns.
But the quality of work on Thistle has suffered. Mostly in the detail of the etched flowers around the top.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 09:34:12 PM »
thanks for that. :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »
I think Iona is another they still do in-house. When it comes to these old classics, folk won't buy them if they're outsourced. They want the "real thing".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand