No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Cordial Glass  (Read 749 times)

Offline gerocns

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Uranium Cordial Glass
« on: March 05, 2020, 02:44:38 PM »
I was given 4 glasses as a gift.  My mother-in-law called them cordial glasses.  I'm a novice at research and would appreciate any information you guys can give me on this/these glasses.  There are no markings on the glasses.  Thanks in advance! Edit - I don't know why the pictures are flipping.  They are straight for me but flip when they get posted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Uranium Cordial Glass
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 03:48:23 PM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB :)         you don't provide any dimensions for these glasses, but assuming a fairly standard height of something like 5 - 6 inches, then possibly a little tall for alcoholic cordial  -  in the U.K. we might suggest for sherry or port - though green was often the preferred colour in Continental Europe for white wine.             Of course, if these are smaller than the figures mentioned, then this will more likely tend to confirm the cordial suggestion, and of course you can drink anything from any kind of glass  -  whatever suites you taste. :)

Hate to be pessimistic, but I doubt very much that you'll ever find the maker  -  uranium wines such as this were very commonplace c. last quarter C19 to mid C20 and made by most of the glass houses in Europe, and probably elsewhere.                 They're attractive and worth keeping, though probably more from the point of sentimental value than any monetary kind.            Sorry if this is less info. than you were expecting, but they're a quite common type of wine glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline gerocns

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 04:22:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the glass is just over 5 inches tall.  I thought it was more of a sherry or port glass too but couldn't find any info.  Too small for a wine glass! Although I have them on display with bottles of wine.  You did give me more information than I had and I appreciate it.  My friends at work thought it was cool that the glasses contained uranium and glowed under a black light.  For what it's worth, I'm keeping them for my daughter and will pass on the new information you gave me too (C1919-1920, maybe made in Europe).  Have a good day!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 07:34:10 PM »
Nice. How is the rim finished?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 02:53:23 PM »
As you are in the US it might be worth checking out the replacements.com website which covers a lot of American glass, so it might take a while. Search for vaseline wine glasses.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand