No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: very small drinking glass  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
very small drinking glass
« on: March 15, 2020, 12:16:39 AM »
I don't know what to make of this glass. 4.5 inches tall, base 2 inches wide, bowl 1.75 inches wide, polished pontil. Stem has a bit of a lean. Some wear to the base but not loads.  Though bearing the size of the glass in mind I can't imagine it got called into use too often

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: very small drinking glass
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 02:00:40 AM »
Looks like a Swedish - or Swedish-style - schnapps glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 07:18:38 PM »
A couple of questions,are there any bits in the glass or air bubble,does the rim have a little bump on it,thanks.Sometimes you find old glass with very little wear,and it looks a bit like a gin glass from about 1800,but obviously it could also be a lot younger!

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 11:04:28 PM »
A couple of questions,are there any bits in the glass or air bubble,does the rim have a little bump on it,thanks.Sometimes you find old glass with very little wear,and it looks a bit like a gin glass from about 1800,but obviously it could also be a lot younger!
Had a closer look at it. Quite a number of small bubbles visible. They're pretty small though. I needed a look through my loupe to get a decent view as my eyes are bobbins up close these days.  I have gadget marked barware with loads of bubbles so not necessarily helpful in terms of dating unfortunately. It does have a little bump in the rim and a bit of frit where the pontils snap was made that didn't get polished out.
I will stick my neck on the line and say I think it's probably 19th century.

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 11:30:29 PM »
Looks like a Swedish - or Swedish-style - schnapps glass.
Thanks. My knowledge of Scandinavian glass goes no further back than the 1930s. I see there's a modern kosta boda design that looks a little similar.

Offline The Glass Staircase

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:30:43 AM »
At the size you mentioned then it'll be a dram / spirits glass. Looks like it could be early 19th century but hard to tell from photos provided. Is the foot flat , conical, terraced etc ?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »
quote   ….  "I have gadget marked barware ……."  -  would love to see some of these pieces showing the gadget mark, we see such marks very rarely here  -  but, is it possible you're referring to the 'T' or 'Y' shaped marks found on the underside of the foot?                 These marks are created by the shears when cutting the plastic glass away from the rod  -  whereas the impression left by use of the gadget is only ever seen on the top of the foot. :)

Generally, gadget marks will usually appear on glass from the second half C19 through perhaps to first quarter C20  -  on the other hand the shears mark will appear on hand made glasses until quite recent times.

Agree, accurate dating is always difficult from screen pix only  -  I'm a fan of drawn stems - they have a big visual appeal.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 09:03:34 AM »
Here's a couple I've had for ages,the taller one is 13cm with a broken Pontil,conical foot,tooling marks and leaded,so probably late 18th century.The other one is soda glass 11cm ht,polished Pontil and the tooling marks less obvious with very little wear to the base,possibly tavern glass from the 19th,but I've never really been sure?

Offline Jeffingtons

• Members
    • GB
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 01:33:15 PM »
At the size you mentioned then it'll be a dram / spirits glass. Looks like it could be early 19th century but hard to tell from photos provided. Is the foot flat , conical, terraced etc ?

Flattish and uneven.

Offline The Glass Staircase

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
That foot is conical so probably from the earlier part of 19th century although I'm sure someone will come along discredit everything I've stated....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand