No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Glass Expert Required Please Very Unusual Decanter Age/Origins  (Read 789 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
This decanter has recently been added to my collection of old decanters i feel it is a shoulder decanter
form with a very unusual style of stopper and the metal is an unusual color , The brightness and weight of the glass
is superb. My thoughts are it maybe an 18th century decanter hoping an expert maybe able to confirm a rough date?
I'm intrigued by the color it reminds me of export glass from the 18th century :) Is it English or possibly French??
The way the glass has aged tells me it is very old wear to base is considerable maybe you can see from pictures but im
sure its of a great age but where from and when any ideas welcome thanks :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Old Glass Expert Required Please Very Unusual Decanter Age/Origins
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 03:28:30 PM »
unusual certainly.         Likely not English C18  -  why?  -  mostly, I'd suggest because of the colour and shape  -  English C18 bottles were in what collectors call Bristol colours  -  deep blue, deep strong greens in several shades and amethyst  -  and as Andy McConnell says  "Early English coloured glass is rare".
The shape here is unlike what we might expect to see from that period  -  it may well be a shoulder decanter, but there is a lack of smooth wide radiused curve where the neck meets body, and the neck ring, or string ring, is a feature out of place mostly on C18 bottles  -  they do occur, but very rarely.

The nipple atop the stopper is also not an English feature - at that time  -  later in the C19 but not mid C18 - something the Victorians were keen on, and similarly with this paler apple green which was something common in second half C19, along with other lurid colours.
Remember too, a bottle from the latter part of the C19 is going to be 130 - 140 years old  -  and quite capable of showing a lot of wear.
Regret I've not a clue as to origin, though from somewhere in Continental Europe is likely.

When you speak of a similarity to 'export glass from the 18th century'  -  may we know the origin of this thought, and some more details which will help us to get a better picture.
Sorry I'm unable to agree with you that 'it's of a great age'  -  but you did ask for someone old to comment, though as Bernard always used to say - I'm not remotely an expert. :)
Assume you've looked in McConnell?

Hopefully, someone will come along and rubbish my suggestions and tell you exactly where and when it was made. ;D

P.S.    any chance please of some details on height - thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 04:30:55 PM »
Thanks for such a in depth reply i much appreciate the time taken :)
I'm certainly no expert although i am seeing similarities with example in Mcconells
book shape seems slightly less rounded on the shoulder as some are towards
the end of the 18th century in some pictures in the book i seem to remember :)
The stopper is not one i have seen before shape wise  ???
My thoughts on export glass well i have been trying to find information on that subject
which has been difficult but i have seen quite a few glasses described as mid 18th century Georgian
lightly made hollow stems made for export to other countries from the UK but the color looks right
as in the same as my decanter..
The lack of the lip on the top makes me believe it could be early together with the way the rim is
marked from years of use anywhere you look on the body is marked in some way i have owned a
few 18th century decanters it certainly has the wear for that date..
Thanks
Nearly forgot 27.5 cm tall

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »
Hi, nice bottle. With the funny shaped stopper and single neck ring, could it have been intended to be sealed with string or wire? Maybe it was sold with content and the neck ring is a ‘string ring’? Probably wide of the mark :) and not making any comment on age or origin.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 06:40:34 PM »
My initial pondering's were similar to yours on string rings the stopper & internal top are
not ground in any way but all fits together nicely the ring is unusual to my way of thinking
I appreciate it has a certain look of a modern form but it feels really early in the hand hard
to quantify in words :)Maybe i am in Love with it hahaha

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 08:41:36 PM »
Coward wrote some lyrics for Gertrude Lawrence ……….   they include   "once we begin to let sentiment in, happiness disappears   ……….."

Must avoid sentiment clouding our judgment, and stick to verifiable facts ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand