No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help to identify two beautiful glasses  (Read 756 times)

Offline Lara

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • uk
help to identify two beautiful glasses
« on: May 11, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
I have two glass vases that were given to me many years ago. One is simular to the style of Pavel Havelka. I have search the internet for simular picture, but am unable to identify them. I would like to sell them at some point. I have attached pictures

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: help to identify two beautiful glasses
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 04:53:57 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
Can we ask you to make another thread for one of these vases please? We can get in a muddle trying to discuss two things in the same place - and beautiful vases such as these deserve a thread each any way!

The one on the left looks like an Exbor piece, and the (correct) name you are looking for is Pavel Hlava. You'll find it using those search parameters.
I am clueless about name of a maker for the pink vase, but this isn't my area, I'm sure somebody else will be able to help you with that. I want to say Stahlikova for that, but it's only a guess.
It is a very good idea to have things properly identified before selling.  :)
Good luck with that.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 06:08:23 PM »
Welcome to the GMB Lara  -  I'd agree with the attribution of Exbor for the left hand piece, and in view of the Czech. origin it's likely the other piece is also from the same area.
It's worth having a look at Jan Kotik or Emanuel Baranek who both did this sommerso sort of appearance  -  not saying it is, but might be worth checking even if only to eliminate.

very nice pieces  -  your benefactor had good taste.

Offline Lara

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:07:46 AM »
Thanks for the help I found the exact same Grey and rose monolith vase picture by typing in 'Exbor'. There was a picture of Pavel Hlava's same vase. So I now know its his design.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »
It's rather a famous one.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 08:28:12 PM »
In Miller’s Collectables Handbook 2012-2013 by Judith Miller and Mark Hill, there is a similar looking Exbor vase. They caution: “...the recent market has seen more examples than are likely. Most probably of recent manufacture. They are typically in brighter colours than the originals, and do not bear the Exbor acid stamp on the base. Most also have minor flaws such as visible ‘creases’ in the cased layers, or trapped air bubbles”.

I’m not making any comment on the vase shown but thought it might be worth mentioning.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand