No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vanity Pot with Hinged Lid & Hand Painted Children  (Read 753 times)

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
Vanity Pot with Hinged Lid & Hand Painted Children
« on: June 14, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »
This is a what I'd assume is a powder or trinket jar with a hinged lid, standing on brass (ormolu?) feet. It has a hand painted design of two children in 18th century dress with a spinning top inside scrolls and foliage. The exterior is off-white, almost like a blush ivory, which contrasts with the white interior. To me, the style suggests 1800s, French / Austrian / German. Could anyone care to make any suggestions, please? It stands a little over 8cm tall.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tonyatl

• Members
Re: Vanity Pot with Hinged Lid & Hand Painted Children
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 02:36:54 AM »
Even though the dress of the children is 18th C., the box is at earliest late 19th C and I am inclined to place my money on 20th C. Since the feet do not have gold coloring or patination, we would not describe them as ormolu - they appear to be brass. The style of the children looks more 20th C. to me. I would want to see them up close before committing to them being hand painted. They could be transfer printed with painted flourishes. The tint of the metal also suggests early to mid 20th C. As for country of origin, I feel American or perhaps British and would feel no shame to be proven otherwise. It is a pleasant box in very nice condition.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:13:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply! I guess that most of us want something - with the odd exception - to be older than it actually is, as may be the case with this piece. It's now back in a box in the shed waiting for the day that I (hopefully) find out more clues at to its origin, though I'm really not holding my breath...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 06:08:39 PM »
I suggest perhaps Bohemian because of the yellow enamel under the gilding

Offline SNJ

• Members
    • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 05:37:16 PM »
May well be, though I did find some Mount Washington pieces online the other day that do have a similarity so now I'm even more uncertain!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 03:07:44 PM »
Mount Washington would be much less likely in the UK.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand