No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: High Class Copy Glass  (Read 1698 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
High Class Copy Glass
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:00:08 PM »
Hi All, I bought a piece of glass claimed to be by Archimede Seguso and looked OK in photo's etc. When it arrived it was obviously not by him at all. The attached threads were not straight and the finish of it was poor.
Just looking at some Lino Tagliapietra pieces and noticed the same thing.
They generally sell for under $US1,000 and they sell quite well obviously as any large piece by A.S. or L.P. sell in the thousands.
Buyer beware..

Any of you guys noticed this? There seems to be more of it than when I bought a piece 3 years ago.
Ardy
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: High Class Copy Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 08:10:22 AM »
Can't say that I have but then I am not buying and collecting their work, chances are I might not pick up on any differences if I did see an example.

Can you point to any examples or do you have a photo Ardy?

John

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:51:57 AM »
Hi John, this is a photo of the piece I fell for about $US400.
First 2 are copies and the last one is real to compare.

Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 01:07:42 AM »
Just listened to a podcast by Wrights Auctions where he claimed up to 90% of high-class Murano glass is copied including signatures etc.
Made go and have another look at mine but I have few of the really high class pieces. Saw an A.S. Merletto Vase with inclusions went for 120,000 US a few months ago.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 09:19:31 PM »
Another result of this experience is that I look a lot closer at the pictures before I bid. The devil is in the details ie if swirls do they gather neatly on the base, is the item upright, are there parts that do not line up on opposite sides handle attachments etc. If I am spending more than $US100 then I am getting much more careful.
Not foolproof but trying to minimise the risks as the risks are increasing. Our local ebay is about 80% Chinese, 10% Eastern European and 10% Murano.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 01:32:07 PM »
Nothing beats handling an item for picking up on those subtleties.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »
Knowing the glass itself is better than believing any marks made on it afterwards.

A very long time ago, family did not buy a large Irene Stevens cut piece, because they studied the glass carefully and found a couple of air bubbles in it.
They didn't realise that was absolutely consistent with manufacture at the time it was made and thought it was fake.

I saw those strapped pieces when you first posted than Ardy  :) - the fakes are awful compared to the real thing. But you might not have seen that in carefully taken pics.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 09:46:11 PM »
Sue: I think that is why females are better at this stuff than men. It's the attention to details you lot are good at.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 09:55:38 PM »
Nothing beats handling an item for picking up on those subtleties.
True and I am sure I would know it if that was possible. My problem is my focus on A.S. which means most of my purchases are from around Australia or from US or Europe.
Just bought a punti forma(sp) perfume atomizer from the USA, the shipping cost as much as the item but I don't have an example of that style so I am happy to pay it.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand