No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: It's taken 26 Years to identify my first piece of glass  (Read 660 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It's taken 26 Years to identify my first piece of glass
« on: September 07, 2020, 10:42:52 PM »
This evening quite by accident I happened upon this listing:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/678085816/murano-scavo-vase-by-gambaro-e-poggi?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

From searching on this board it appears the id of Gambaro e Poggi is correct for the 039 VM number identification:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,18390.msg207865.html#msg207865

I bought a multicoloured version of that vase in Lane Crawford department store in Hong Kong in 1994.  It's the first piece of glass I ever bought and we still have it.  It's a beautiful turquoise green body graduating to dark blue at the base and foot, with a lilac rim and yellow band on the neck and has the handles in red.  In an a scavo effect.  It remains my favourite glass item and has pride of place on my shelf despite the fact I broke one of the handles rinsing it out in too hot water after using it  ::)

I'm so thrilled to have finally identified it :)  - It's on a high shelf above an entrance so I'll take a better picture in daylight. (excuse the glitter attachments to shelf but birthday banner in place this week for one of my kids).

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: It's taken 26 Years to identify my first piece of glass
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »
 ;) Not to mention very satisfying that your very first piece of glass was and is something very special. :-*
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:58:50 AM »
Was something special until I cracked it badly :)  Such a shame but never mind - holds lots of memories.
Never found anything to rival it in terms of colours.  There were others there - after I cracked it I went back to try and get another one of course.  But they were all one colour or two colours.  It was the only one of 5 colours  :'(
Measures about 32cm tall by 23cm wide including handles so it's a big vase. 
Better pics attached.

also have this scent bottle given as a present and have always wondered if it was same maker (pic at bottom). 
I've found another different technique but same flat polished base with tiny pontil half moon scar that says Gambaro e Poggi and two others again, different technique but same/similar shape and stopper.  So it's possible I guess.
Also found these two in a similar shape but different neck rim application:
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/53291035_two-vintage-gambaro-poggi-murano-perfume-bottles

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 11:27:37 AM »
It is still the best known one with 5 colours and it still displays beautifully - I thought at first it was the open part of the handle was broken, but that's the design.
Accidents happen. :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:31:29 AM »
No the top part of the left handle is also cracked. 
I'm amazed it's stayed in one piece for all these years.  It'll probably shatter now I've taken it down and photographed it  ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »
I can see the crack in your new pics, but I'd thought the open part of it was the damage from the old one - it's not.
Hopefully, it will hold together. Monart does.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand