No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Irish Cut Glass Serving Bowl - Early Waterford ??? Circa 1800  (Read 962 times)

Offline macmac

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • georgian glass
    • Scotland
Irish Cut Glass Serving Bowl - Early Waterford ??? Circa 1800
« on: September 10, 2020, 10:57:34 AM »
Irish cut glass bowl possibly early Primrose Waterford

Height: 24 cm, Width:21 cm

Weight  - A very heavy  3542 g

Fan Scalloped rim with a Square star cut base.

with a yellow tinge .  If anyone can tell me anymore greatly appreciated    https://photos.app.goo.gl/CEqqXSNRNNhFHFocA    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bvqg26HGTcJXoaQi6

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Irish Cut Glass Serving Bowl - Early Waterford ??? Circa 1800
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:51:10 AM »
Hi, it’s good to see some more Georgian glass and cut glass.

I’m not an expert in Georgian cut glass but I have an interest. Not being an expert, I like my Georgian glass to be quite obvious and tick all the boxes for shape, cutting style, colour, and wear so that I am sure it is what I think. I always have doubt about what I think might be Georgian glass if it has a yellow tint, there is a discussion here on yellow tints in clear glass that suggests it might be from the 1900s: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,23733.0.html

Having said that, in ‘Investing in Georgian Glass’ by Ward Lloyd, he states that ‘colour alone is a very unreliable guide to dating, because the exceptions are so numerous’ - but it’s still a question mark in my mind in anything I own.

I’m sure you know there were reproductions of the Georgian style made at various times, Hajdamach’s British Glass shows examples from catalogues from 1900 and 1934. Interestingly, your rim looks the same as the different shaped bowl, top left Plate 368 page 405, with similar shape foot and bowl to others on that plate. He says ‘Although Irish glass bowls and urns from 1800 or so do exist with square feet the proportions are usually more restrained, whereas the feet on the 1930s versions are much thicker and larger....’. I’m not saying yours is reproduction, just that you have to be careful.

Have you seen these bowls on Scottish Antiques? The cutting of the bowl looks very similar but with a square foot and lower stem. They are smaller and dated to c1820 by them: https://scottishantiques.com/georgian-table-glass/wine-rinsers-finger-bowls/antique-irish-glass-standing-bowls
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline macmac

• Members
    • georgian glass
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:05:50 PM »
Hi ,Ekimp 

Thanks for that , I never seen the ones on Scottish Antiques , But seen  one similar on  Exhibitantiques.com  as a Irish Waterford Cut Glass Serving Bowl c1840  , It has the thinner foot like you mentioned.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 04:05:43 PM »
Yes, a nice bowl. It has a similar look, approximately the same size as yours but to me it looks much more refined and elegant. For example, the triangular panels between the fan cut panels are cut with proper small diamonds and finished with a small sawtooth rim. It’s interesting to compare.
https://www.exhibitantiques.com/item/981/exhibitantiques/Irish-Waterford-Cut-Glass-Serving-Bowl-c1840.html

Offline macmac

• Members
    • georgian glass
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 04:16:34 PM »
It is a nice bowl , Like you say same size but totally different side by side.
  I did sent photos to a Georgian Glass dealer and he said Anglo-Irish and circa 1790

Offline macmac

• Members
    • georgian glass
    • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 04:32:20 PM »
Sorry ignore previous post   , Anglo English circa 1790 was for the lidded  preserve jar    ;D

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
That one was nice too. Hopefully someone with more experience will have a look, I wouldn’t want to put you off but for me there would be a couple of question marks. Half the fun is working out what you’ve got but sometimes it seems the only way to know for sure would be if you were there when it was made  ;D

Offline macmac

• Members
    • georgian glass
    • Scotland
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 04:51:28 PM »
Thanks  , no i really appreciate your help , It wont put me off .
 I just love Georgian glass , How it has survived for so many years ,especially drinking glasses as i smash a wine glass about  every few months.
The fun is finding and learning

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand