No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this bottle ? vase? a Murano ?  (Read 2981 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Is this bottle ? vase? a Murano ?
« on: August 29, 2006, 03:28:21 AM »
Hi,

Any information on this bottle/vase would be appreciated. Ive had it a few years and Ive had 2 offers from antique dealers to buy it. Not knowing the maker or anything about what its value could be, I declined  :D
The photos arent great, its really hard for me to get a picture to show its true beauty.
I would love to know the name of the technique etc. Maybe it could turn out to be my best find ! I know the dealer wouldnt put it down !! He said he was amazed he couldnt find a signature on it. I can only hope his excitement was warranted.

I cannot count the different layers of colours looking into the bottle from the base, there are many. The bottle is quite heavy and about 12 1/2" high. The bottle is straight but looks like it leans from the effect around it.

front view

Taken from under the base

selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 12:33:50 PM »
BTW, I hope I didnt breach etiquette or do something wrong by posting this straight away...I just got rather excited to finally find some experts and all in the one spot  :D

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 01:21:20 PM »
Absolutely not, pile your questions on :)

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 03:13:07 PM »
Very unusual piece a multi layered sommerso but the patterned lower portion is not something one comes across very often. I know Seguso vetri d'Arte did some work with this type in the late 1950's, but they didn't prove very popular. I don't know why though but I get the feeling this may be a lot more recent than that, but lets see what a few other folks think.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 03:47:58 PM »
Quote from: "chuggy"
but they didn't prove very popular.

Great shame, far prefer that to the smoothies.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 04:38:20 PM »
It is not Seguso Vetri d'Arte. One of the trademarks of the genuine SVA sommersos is the perfection of the workmanship.  The top of this bottle is too primative looking, too asymetrical, to be by SVA.  

It's an interesting piece. Most probably Murano glass, and probably mid-century.  I don't know who made it.

Laura

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 10:35:41 PM »
Thanks for your replies, Im learning something already! I dont think its that modern, it has the same worn base as my other older ones. Ive had it myself about 6 years.
Laura, what did you mean about primitive and asymetrical? Of course to me it looks perfect :) If meant by the colours, I think its the effect the artist was looking for. Because it is perfectly straight but has a leaning effect. Maybe it was the terrible pics I took  :? The colours underneath and inside all line up perfectly and evenly. The man that looked at it, said he counted 8 or more 'layers' inside.
I guess reading all the posts on the board, we all want our piece to be a great find  :D
Which makes me ask another question about collecting..If a piece is not seen anywhere else, as in doesnt seem to be a generic piece and is quite individual, would it then make it more collectable? Or is it solely by who made it etc?

Thanks for your help. Its much appreciated.
Selina
Trudy

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 12:28:33 AM »
Hi Selina,
I think Laura was talking about the mouth of the vase. It looks wavy/uneven, not more staight and sharp looking. Its not meant as something bad.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 11:37:43 AM »
Oh I didnt mean that she meant something bad by it ! So hard to convey tone in text sometimes. It was more of a learning curve for me. Plus Im still trying to work out any kind of value...so if not who Laura said..Has anyone else any ideas of a maker.
BTW has a very faint glow under the black light, as do quite a lot of my older pieces.. I sometimes use that as a gauge to whether a piece is old or not. They dont all glow bright like the uranium ones,but they do glow on certain parts.

Selina
Trudy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »
Quote from: "selina"
If a piece is not seen anywhere else, as in doesnt seem to be a generic piece and is quite individual, would it then make it more collectable? Or is it solely by who made it etc?

If a piece is unknown or by an undocumented maker then no one will be looking for it. Instead it will sell on the collectors taste and the incessant bug to find out about it. Twenty plus years hunting is not uncommon although the internet and the GMB make things a lot easier.

For collecting by name, then it is merely a matter of tracking down known or identifiable pieces, against the inevitable competition. The more that is published, the more collectors.

But of course there are many different angles for collecting glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand