No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium Glass Fruit Bowl. ID = Jobling  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Birkyc

• Members
  • Not new anymore but always glad of help
    • Art Glass, 20th Century Glass
    • England
Uranium Glass Fruit Bowl. ID = Jobling
« on: November 02, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have had this piece for a couple of years now and not managed to identify maker or era. If anyone can help or at least point me in the right direction I would be very much obliged. Thank you.

Uranium glass Fruit Bowl:
Very responsive to UV
Approx 20 cm in diameter.
Approx 5cm in height.
weighs just over 1kg.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
Re: Uranium Glass Fruit Bowl
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »
Hi,

I believe your bowl is by Jobling of Sunderland. It presumably predates the introduction of the Art Glass range in 1932-3, hence why it's not shown in the Baker & Crowe book (though production may have continued alongside the new range as with the 1054-5 series). While I don't know the pattern number (or name) for your bowl, the intaglio design is an exact match to that used on the 1055 bowls -- see here for a Jobling 1055 cupped bowl, also in uranium green: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69028.msg384449.html#msg384449

At least one smaller size was also produced -- I have seen a fruit/ dessert set in this pattern consisting of one larger bowl and six smaller. It's possible that plates or flanged variants were also produced, though I don't recall having seen any.

Steven

Offline Birkyc

• Members
  • Not new anymore but always glad of help
    • Art Glass, 20th Century Glass
    • England
Re: Uranium Glass Fruit Bowl
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 04:49:39 PM »
Thank you for that information Steven, very much appreciated.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand