No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very Complex Zanfirico Squat Vase - Please help with ID  (Read 978 times)

Offline revampdesignsa

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Italian Glass
    • San Antonio, Texas, USA
Very Complex Zanfirico Squat Vase - Please help with ID
« on: November 11, 2020, 04:42:01 PM »
Good morning to all - this is my first message on the boards, so please be gentle!
Hope you are all well and hoping this board might provide some momentary solace in a crazy time/world!

My first post is that of an Italian zanfirico squat vase I recently picked up with some other good Italian glass (to be posted soon).
I am assuming it is Italian as it is masterful and was included in a small but good collection with all other pieces having positive ID.
I have had zanfirico glass in the past...some signed, some not...but this one seem particularly complex and the color combinations seem unique.
No signature located.  The vase measures 5 1/2" in height and is 6" in diameter at shoulder.  The vase has an overall 'swirly ribbed' form (ribs set at slight angles).
The filigree canes are exceptionally fine and uniformly structured and are in black, white and a reddish-brown - all being twisted together.
If there is any additional information that may be useful in identifying or attributing this to a certain maker, please feel free to reach out!
Thanks to all of you in advance for any assistance you may lend!
Sincerely,
David from Texas

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Very Complex Zanfirico Squat Vase - Please help with ID
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 03:42:59 PM »
The canes remind me a little of Mike Hunter's work - Twists Glass, they almost look tartan... Tend to expect a signature though, usually scratch signed and tiny.

A belated welcome to the message board too.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Very Complex Zanfirico Squat Vase - Please help with ID
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 04:59:13 PM »
I was scared to say Mike Hunter as the OP is in Italy, but the "tartan" appearance and the quality of the work are both screaming Mike's work to me. He doesn't sign everything - I've found a good few bits of his, unmarked.
But I'm not aware of the Italian makers who would be capable of this standard of work. I'm sure there must be a few. :)
This is Mike's website.
http://twistsglassstudio.co.uk/
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand