No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Star of Edinburgh Glasses  (Read 1240 times)

Offline LemonFresh

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Scottish glass
    • United Kingdom
Star of Edinburgh Glasses
« on: November 17, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »
Hello, I bought a large amount of Star of Edinburgh crystal glasses. I intended to sell them in my shop however, I feel we are about to go back into lockdown in Scotland which will result in the shop being closed.

Given this, I'm pondering selling on Ebay. I am however very wary about the safety of the glasses. Can I ask people on here how they package their stock and what they have found to be the most effective way of sending. Is there a preference or industry standard for sending glasses? I would hate to have losses. Someone has kept these glasses safe for years and I want to keep them that way!
Thanking you for any advice.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Star of Edinburgh Glasses
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 02:37:00 PM »
I've found the best thing for packing glasses is an old inner cardboard roll from carpets. They're thick, strong and round. You need plenty of packing top and bottom. A saw is the easiest way to cut them down to size.
I always double box. And put a layer or two of bubble wrap around the inner box.

Cling film is great for securing bubble wrap, much better than loads of sticky tape.
And I shake the parcel to make sure nothing can move inside.

I once saw porters playing rugby with the instruments belonging to an orchestra when I was flying. Since then, I have made parcels secure enough to withstand that.
Given this often means the parcel gets fairly big, a courier might be far more economical than RM.

"Star of Edinburgh" is one of Edinburgh's most prestigeous classic cuts. It is not one that gets outsourced. Good luck.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 07:52:11 PM »
I am often surprised at how well glass survives quite shoddy packaging (within the U.K.). I’ve only received two broken items, one was a pair of wine glasses that were packaged touching each other and another was a dish that had only one layer of bubble wrap. I think I might have once received an item double boxed and well protected...maybe I don’t spend enough  ;D

If you’re using Royal Mail, there is wrapping and packaging advice here: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/86/~/wrapping-and-packaging-advice---general-and-item-specific , scroll down for fragile items. If you are hoping to claim off Royal Mail for a damaged item, then I don’t think they pay unless you follow their packing advice as a minimum (I’ve had no personal experience of this). If you read Royal mail’s compensation policy it might put you off completely:  https://www.royalmail.com/retail-compensation-policy-damage
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 08:34:17 PM »
AFAIK, they do not compensate for glass. The only way to get insurance for it is to use Special Delivery.
I have had something good survive lousy packing, but damage from bad packing is far, far too common.
I'm too fond of glass to take risks with it.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline LemonFresh

• Members
    • Scottish glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 09:41:46 PM »
Thank you everyone for your advice. As expected we are now in a 3 week lockdown so my shop will be shut. I'm loathed to move to online selling but also dont want stock laying out unsold so Ebay it is! I have invested in a giant roll of bubble and multi pack of fragile tape so wish me luck!  ;)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 09:49:31 PM »
Good luck!  :D

I sold something rather good a few years ago and read up on packaging as I didn’t want to take any chances. I remember reading that bubble wrap itself can damage glass, as the bubble can leave a mark where it touches and it’s best to use paper first.

AFAIK, they do not compensate for glass. The only way to get insurance for it is to use Special Delivery.
I have had something good survive lousy packing, but damage from bad packing is far, far too common.
I'm too fond of glass to take risks with it.  ;D

You sound like one of the good ones  ;D

In the Royal Mail compensation policy in the link, it doesn’t say they don’t compensate for damaged glass or other fragile items (that I can see), but excludes compensation where “...a breakable item has not been packed in a strong container with enough packaging material to protect the item against pressure and knocks, and where the item has not been marked with the words ‘FRAGILE HANDLE WITH CARE’ in capital letters on the cover or envelope above the address”. The only things it says must go special delivery are valuables (i.e. money and jewellery). It might be buried in the terms somewhere I suppose.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline LemonFresh

• Members
    • Scottish glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 10:00:23 PM »
Oh I didnt know that the bubble can cause damage so thank you! It's all just fraught isnt it...I'm worried about using a courier company because they have such bad reputations but the Royal Mail is really pricey. I see alot of ebayers sell glasses singularly which would be much easier to pack but sets are nicer and I have many many glasses!!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 02:58:38 PM »
Can you make the auction so that people are able to buy sets or singles?
Star of Edinburgh should sell as both. Some folk will want singles to make up broken sets.
I've seen sellers who have several glasses list them as singles, but the auction itself shows how many are available, so the option for buying more is there in the same advertisement.

With couriers, you do not have the same troubles with size and weight restrictions, you can get a lot more really secure packing on.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand