No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Salvador Ysart Flower Weight  (Read 1517 times)

Offline millarart

• Members
Salvador Ysart Flower Weight
« on: November 27, 2020, 07:16:48 PM »
picked up this Salvador Ysart  flower weight a little while back first one ive seen that contains his signature  S cane which is among the bed of cane pieces , thought i would share
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Salvador Ysart Flower Weight
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 07:17:20 PM »
Gary - stop doing this !!!  ;D ;D

It might be by Salvador Ysart or it could be Strathearn :o
The Strathearn flower weights were often very much akin to those of Salvador. And certainly several of the early Strathearn flower weights used the Salvador "S" cane as a convenience for "Strathearn".

But maybe the grounds always differed - I am not sure about that.

I'm looking more closely at the "S" cane - is it whole or partial? And is there a crack in the clear glass right next to the "S" cane?

This one needs a Specific Gravity (or Shortwave UV) test to check if it's lead glass or not.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 07:48:00 PM »
lol
    its  a partial  signature cane Kevin, Dave Moir has seen it but never said it could be strathearn , no crack beside the S cane or anywhere i can see but yeah ive just looked and seen strathearn upright weights with same spattered ground with Salvador S cane in them so could well be by them then lol
                Gary

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 01:08:51 AM »
What are the dimensions of your weight Gary?

I have browsed Richard's smugmug site via my mobile and noted that all of his examples of Upright Flowers in regular domed weights (Small(er) to Jumbo) use spaced latticino as a form of ground.

As you have seen, Richard's gallery for the "Bullet Shaped"examples of Upright Flower use a spatter ground and most have the "early Ysart" "S" ID cane. Just like the ground in yours.

But what I had forgotten about (even though I have a faceted example!) was that most of the "Bullet Shaped" Upright Flower weights in his galleries have a "dark ground" and many of those use a quite realistic brown colour like dark soil. Just like yours.

From memory alone, I think I have seen a couple of Salvador Ysart Upright Flower weights that use spatter chips in the ground but I don't recall any with the "soil" inner ground. But I may be thinking of some 3D Butterfly examples!

So ... I think your weight is an unusual version of the Strathearn Upright Flower that has the outer spatter ground and inner "soil" layer of the "Bullet Shaped" weights, but within a "standard" dome that seems to be of magnum (or Jumbo?) size.

As is often the case with the "Ysart legacy", weights of certain design appear from nowhere and seem to be unique (in the sense of "one-off"). But within a year or two others are found.

Eyes open, folks - you may find a weight just like Gary's. Or maybe you already have one?
KevinH

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
Kevin sizes are around 3 inches wide and 2 and a quarter high

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:17:41 PM »
Thanks Gary. The size is also a nod towards "probably not by Salvador" as most of his upright flower weights thst I have seen have been 3.5 inch diameter and larger.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand