No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Faceted Regency salt or sugar.  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Faceted Regency salt or sugar.
« on: January 17, 2021, 11:24:16 AM »
Got this a while ago but nearly left it on the shelf as at first glance I assumed it was pressed, but every surface has been cut except for the inside of the bowl. I think it shares design aspects with the items from the Webb Richardson pattern book c.1830s, shown on pages 46 to 50 in British Glass by Hajdamach. I don’t think it would look out of place on those pages, especially Plate 37, the ‘Sugars’. I’m not sure how big a ‘Sugar’ is, but possibly bigger than my bowl, which maybe a salt. I think the cutting has a bohemian look (to my eye ;D ) but am sure it is English. It is 95mm tall.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Faceted Regency salt or sugar.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »
It certainly looks similar to the sugars, it's a pity Hajdamach doesn't show the other 180 or so other designs he mentions. I think that at that time sugar was not granulated but was taken as small lumps broken off large lumps using a sugar hammer, so the bowls needed to be larger than salts, so I think yours is a salt.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 02:27:55 PM »
Hi, yes, I think you’re right regarding sugar, understand that’s why you get the scratches in old rummers from crushing the lumps of sugar. You’d imagine there were salts to a similar design as the sugars illustrated on other pages, frustratingly unpublished. I’ve thought more than once that it’s a shame the whole pattern book isn’t shown  ???

I think this is the pattern book in the Dudley Archives, so should be available to have a look at: http://archives.dudley.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=D7%2fY3%2f23&pos=1

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 02:36:22 PM »
It doesn't seem to be viewable online, which is a pity.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 03:06:33 PM »
the foot is quite similar to the foot shown on plate 37. No 2331 (middle row second down from top) and also the item on the left 2330. 

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 03:37:47 PM »
Yes, especially the one on the left with the single knop. That one looks hexagonal with a six point star in the base. And the one at the top in the middle has a similar but slightly more complex rim. Hopefully the full pattern book will be digitised sometime and made available.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 03:47:08 PM »
hmm, I can't see that happening anytime soon.  I believe the pattern books from S&W are huge.  Digitising them might take years. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand