No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large paperweight collection ID help  (Read 1296 times)

Offline JoeyD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Paperweights
    • Cheshire
Large paperweight collection ID help
« on: January 31, 2021, 02:05:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a somewhat large collection of paperweights (100+) that I collected as a child from car boot sales with the parents.
Many different types and sizes however I collected them as I thought they were pretty, I have no idea what age or style any of them are. I would assume a lot are modern.

What would be the best way to get them identified?

Thanks in advance. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Large paperweight collection ID help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 09:08:11 PM »
 :) Hello and welcome.
We have a whole load of techie help and info here:-

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

about how to post images for us to see, so we can help you.
We normally like to keep to one bit of glass per thread, but it does sound as if you have a lot.
Perhaps initially, some group photos might help us to work out which ones need more attention, although I will wait to get shot down over saying that! ::)
I'm not a paperweight person but we have loads of folk here who are, and who really know their stuff.
We would be very grateful if you could use a very plain background, we really need to see as much detail as possible.
Marks on the base can be difficult to read, but we often know what they look like. One way to bring up any etching for photography is to rub talcum powder over it with your thumb.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Large paperweight collection ID help
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 12:35:34 PM »
Hi JoeyD. I have changed the title of this thread to reflect the need for ID help. We have a separate Glass Market Place forum for actual sales etc. which you can use after, hopefully, getting some ID information in this forum.

Sue's suggestion of photos with several weights in one photo is sensible as a starting point. I would add that perhaps the best approach is to show photos of 10 weights at a time and with the weights sorted by visual type.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand